extruded acrylic sheet

I don't know if this was said but lexan tends to be real flimsy(sp?). You can pick up acrylic at your local sign shop. I think it is cast, but not sure. Depends on what they order. I work at a sign shop I deal with this stuff all the time. Might could sell you the weld on too. I built my sump out of 1/4 inch. It turned out great and was leak free...

tapplastics has a short video clip on youtube that gives an idea of how to use weldon, and cutting the acrylic.
watch

in this video they make a simple box, and goes into more info on what type of blade to use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNPNiIeAi5g">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNPNiIeAi5g</a>

Lots of little tips in these vids. Now to work up the guts to give this a try hehe.

Nice smooth,straight,square joints can be achieved on a table saw BUT not typically on your homeowner/ contractor grade table saw. There are modifications that can be done to them to stabilize the blade and fence mods which will enable you to rip or cross cut the above mentioned. Really not worth the time for one project. Like others mentioned a router is the best alternative. You can make a squaring jig by cutting a oversize board and clamping it to a table and using it to route by. The larger tanks are made using a two part polymer and then routed to fit and then countless hours of polishing the joint. Museum qaulity displays can be made at home given enough practice and equipment and money. Is it finacially advantageous ? Probably not. Challenging? Yes. Fun ? Depends on the person trying. I enjoy diy projects and have saved an aquarium full of money doing them but I owned all the tools needed already which I use for my trade and had most of the basic skills. I encourage people to try diy as long as they don't expect savings and perfection first or second attempts. I believe that alot of the advancements and or inventions made in the hobby were by diyers so to say leave it to the pro's is a narrowed minded view . Got money, got time ,got the want to, give it a try.

Something else to consider is not just the glue you use, but your skill at using it.

At MRC we mix our own solvent so it wicks and sets within our desired parameters. In short, we know exactly how the solvent will react with the acrylic, allowing consistant joints.

I wouldn't make my office tank my first project because that's probably the last place you want something to fail, but certainly play around with acrylic if you'll have some fun along the way.

Back