fast cycle. moving in 3 weeks

mystery_me

Market
Reaction score
So my house sold and I have to be out in 3 weeks. Blessing and a rush all at the same time...

I am setting up a 93 gallon where I am moving now so it can cycle. I am going to start the cycle today and I have to be out by February 16th. Thats the day I will move all my live stock. I am open to any suggestions to help cycle the system that way all my coral and few fish will make a happy transition. I guess my question is, will my tank be ok in three weeks I've never really ried to cycle on in this fast? But I have no choice.

I also need to buy live sand today. Going to do a mix of dry and live and I will pick up today if anyone has any

Any tips of how i can get it to cycle asap.... ?
Leaning on my ARC peeps this time

Seachem stability and ace hardware pure ammonia janitorial strength for a fishless cycle

I'd get some LR from someone or if you have a tank running and seed it. Maybe 20-30lbs, toss it in a brute can with the rest of your rock and it should cycle.

Will have the system running this evening or by tomorrow at the latest depending on water. But I would like to cycle it over the next 2 or 3 weeks because I'm leaving my other system running until I move. So I don't want to disturb its rock or samd and I'm just going to remove all livestock and then sell that system

Dumb newbie question here...but...on the day of the transfer can you just take the water and rock from your existing tank then put it in the new tank while your fish wait in a couple of 5 gallon buckets for the sand to settle down? Maybe even pour the water in through a large pipe with the bottom in a small bucket at the bottom of the tank so as not to disturb the sand?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SaltWaterWannabe;1069447 wrote: Dumb newbie question here...but...on the day of the transfer can you just take the water and rock from your existing tank then put it in the new tank while your fish wait in a couple of 5 gallon buckets for the sand to settle down? Maybe even pour the water in through a large pipe with the bottom in a small bucket at the bottom of the tank so as not to disturb the sand?

Please don't let my question delay response to the more important question he asked. I will bump from nelow so it shows as the last post

Mystery_me;1069443 wrote: Will have the system running this evening or by tomorrow at the latest depending on water. But I would like to cycle it over the next 2 or 3 weeks because I'm leaving my other system running until I move. So I don't want to disturb its rock or samd and I'm just going to remove all livestock and then sell that system
I am interested in seeing how your move turns out. Hopefully more experienced reefers can respond.

SaltWaterWannabe;1069447 wrote: Dumb newbie question here...but...on the day of the transfer can you just take the water and rock from your existing tank then put it in the new tank while your fish wait in a couple of 5 gallon buckets for the sand to settle down? Maybe even pour the water in through a large pipe with the bottom in a small bucket at the bottom of the tank so as not to disturb the sand?

I have moved my system many many times this way and have had no losses and no ammonia/nitrite. I have always transferred over rock and had 0 issues. I have actually also reused my sand in most swaps/moves, I just rinse it in old water very very well.

Hope that's helpful.

- Kim

bones305;1069468 wrote: I recently did a tank move, I used all my live rock and some of the water. I did have a mini cycle, but I added Bio Spira and everything was ok in like 2 days.

Problem is doing it that way for me is I have a lot of livestock a lot of coral.. so I do not want my corals going through a mini cycle in everything dying

I started a tank 3 months ago with dry rock and sand with seachem seed (aquavitro). The tank cycled in 3 days and I had acros in the tank within 6 days.

I started my 120 with base rock, live sand and used stability and it cycled in 2 weeks

I just moved my 125 into my new house. I did it all in one day including livestock, sand and rock. I did a water change around 2 days prior to the move to mix fresh salt water with my established tank. Day of the move I kept around a total 40%-50% of the tank water in one brute trashcan and kept the rocks in another trashcan with tank water. I had fresh salt water waiting for me at the new house to mix with the 40-50% of the old water. I didn't lose any corals, a few stung each other in the coolers but thats it, even my SPS survived without hiccups. The only fish i lost was a scooter blenny, I looked and looked but could not find him. He must of been hiding in one of the rocks. (RIP Scooter) It was a long day but i didn't suffer a mini cycle and at the end of the day it was just a deep clean and large water change.

Stability and prime together will protect fish from cycle. I started adding fish 2 weeks after setting up tank and had zero issues. Continued dosing after initial dose as recommended by seachem.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Use dry sand and rock. Do a water change on old tank and transfer old water to new tank. Then move everything except the sand and you should not have a cycle.

billsfan;1069483 wrote: Use dry sand and rock. Do a water change on old tank and transfer old water to new tank. Then move everything except the sand and you should not have a cycle.

If I use dry rock and dry sand can only transfer water there's no bacteria to filter the ammonia into nitrites then nitrares.. and then when I move all my bio load over there going to cycling is my outlook

@billsfan, that is completely wrong. You are not cycling the water, you are cycling the rock and sand.

You don't cycle the water you just keep it heated and circulating with a bag of carbon. The old water is just to helping keep the parameters stable for the move The dry rock is not to replace the live rock it's the extra rock that he wants to add to the new system. Biological filter is the live rock.

That makes sense. I thought you meant use all new dry rock.

Back