fast cycle. moving in 3 weeks

Luckily, this is super simple. Just move your rock along with the livestock to the new tank on moving day.

As noted here, the biological filter resides in the rock.... ergo, you're simply moving the filter with the other livestock. No need for additional biological capacity as it is sufficient for your current bioload. The increased capacity of the tank, via additional gallons, has no negative impact. In fact, it provides you with extra margin via dilution of any wastes.

The guys at Atlanta Aquarium sell established water, I'd pick up some of that, or see if you can find NutriSea sea water...I think I have seen that at Optimum in Kennesaw

McPhock;1069499 wrote: Luckily, this is super simple. Just move your rock along with the livestock to the new tank on moving day.

As noted here, the biological filter resides in the rock.... ergo, you're simply moving the filter with the other livestock. No need for additional biological capacity as it is sufficient for your current bioload. The increased capacity of the tank, via additional gallons, has no negative impact. In fact, it provides you with extra margin via dilution of any wastes.

I agree with this!

When I moved, I set up a new tank. Filled it with water, added salt, let it mix for a couple of days, added new live sand and let it settle a couple of days. When this was clear, I moved my rock and corals. I did a 50% water change on the new tank using old tank water for replacement water to match parameters. Put the rock/corals in tank. I had to shimmy it around to be sure it was on the bottom of tank and not on sand. Then went back and got my fish which were easy to catch in an empty tank. Except the Coris Wrasse which was buried in the sand and took forever to find.

I did keep plenty of Prime on hand(as I always do), just in case, and had water mixed and ready, but no spike.

Update

So i bought 50 pounds of base dry rock. And put 100 pounds,of extablished sand (rinsed in old water) from another tear down
I am going to fill with salt water this evening and let it run for a,week while i am out of town.. i am adding stability and i will transfer all my rock n coral and fish the day of and pull half of the water from the original tank...

I will test the water in between. This gives me the added rock already in place and water at proper temperature and ready next week. ..

Wish me luck

I would recommend you use a bio starter... Like Sea Chem "Seed." Every brand has their own version. And have Stability on stand by. It will detoxify Amonia if/when you have an Amonia spike. I have added livestock and corals same day before. Don't like to, but I have done it a couple of times.

Just my $.02

So i started the tank with about 70 pounds,of dry rock and 250 pounds of live sand. Little do its thing for 2 weeks and then transfer all my existing live rock n livestock in 2 weeks... i will text the water over the next week a few times

Back