Fauna Marin

dawgface

Market
Reaction score
I've been constantly searching for that one food fits all for LPS corals since I started this hobby. I've tried everything reef chili, reefroids, every pellet known to fish, mysis shrimp of all brands, cyclops, roe and arctic pods. I was just getting content with feeding multiple when I decided to try one more...

Where has this stuff been all my reefing life?! Everything ate this stuff, unbelievable! Frogspawn, zoas, blastso, chalice, everything!

Unbelievably happy with this product. Needless to say I'll be looking into their other products line.

Which product did you use? The LPS version? They have a few different types. I have been asking different fish stores for their products and most have never even heard of it.

By all means....support our local sponsors. For anyone that is prohibited by distance, BRS sells it too.

It's this product to add to the ones you are feeding or to replace some instead and keep going with the new one? Just curious...

Curtismaximus;951920 wrote: Which product did you use? The LPS version? They have a few different types. I have been asking different fish stores for their products and most have never even heard of it.

Yes, LPS.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/fauna-marin-ultra-lps-food">http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/fauna-marin-ultra-lps-food</a>

While Pure Reef won't be a disappointment either way. Do make sure you call ahead, there was only one more on the shelf unless they have more elsewhere.

joseayes;951989 wrote: It's this product to add to the ones you are feeding or to replace some instead and keep going with the new one? Just curious...

With regards to fish I like to feed a variety.

Corals on the otherhand I just want them to eat when I feed and am far less concerned with variety as lo g as they eagerly accept the food. This stuff they obviously know it's edible and they want it, immediately. My blastos on all other attempts would puff or blast (no pun intended) the food off itself. With this food they immediately latched on and started carrying to their mouths. Frogspawn and hammers, forget about it before, I almost thought it was a myth that they accepted food from anything other than photosynthesis. Amazingly they did the same as the blastos. Zoas be aware some are just too small to take in even the smallest size pellets, Hornets, Rasta and like sized morphs. Although I'm sure you could grind up or mosten the pellets up a bit and target broadcast them, I'll attempt that tonight. My Sunny's D, PE, Utter Chaos gobbled them right up.

The size in the link above is the smallest size available. They have a larger size, may even have multiple sizes larger available for all I know. This size is acceptable to debris, scoly and smaller anemones I.e. rock, flower and maxis but probably make more sense to order a more appropriate size. I'm placing my order here shortly.

Here's hopeing for the same luck with that and for everyone trying this product.

DawgFace;951993 wrote: With regards to fish I like to feed a variety.

Corals on the otherhand I just want them to eat when I feed and am far less concerned with variety as lo g as they eagerly accept the food. This stuff they obviously know it's edible and they want it, immediately. My blastos on all other attempts would puff or blast (no pun intended) the food off itself. With this food they immediately latched on and started carrying to their mouths. Frogspawn and hammers, forget about it before, I almost thought it was a myth that they accepted food from anything other than photosynthesis. Amazingly they did the same as the blastos. Zoas be aware some are just too small to take in even the smallest size pellets, Hornets, Rasta and like sized morphs. My sunny's, PE, utter chaos gobbled them up.

The size in the link above is the smallest size available. They have a larger size, may even have multiple sizes larger available for all I know. This size is acceptable to debris, scoly and smaller anemones I.e. rock, flower and maxis but probably make more sense to order a more appropriate size. I'm placing my order here shortly.

Here's hopeing for the same luck with that and for everyone trying this product.

how small are the pellets you got? are they small enough to fit into a pipette? and do they sink immediately or do you have to force them down? the reason i ask is i have been considering these for a while and they would make it so much easier to feed the 5 gallon pico if i could use a pipette and just suck them up and spray them where i need them.

Picoreefguy;951994 wrote: how small are the pellets you got? are they small enough to fit into a pipette? and do they sink immediately or do you have to force them down? the reason i ask is i have been considering these for a while and they would make it so much easier to feed the 5 gallon pico if i could use a pipette and just suck them up and spray them where i need them.

Very small actually. Opening the bottle I was a little disappointed as my purpose was more geared towards acans, dendros and like sized LPS. The pellets do sink and would be absolutely appropriate for a pipette. I use Julian Sprungs "The Thing" which is another product that needs praise but that will be another thread of a different day. Admittedly I had to cut just a tad of the tip to get them to not clogged constantly but in my experience you have to customize all of these a bit for the shape, texture and consistency. With another mention, "The Thing" has optional purchase of 3 additional tips. This way you can cut them in different sizes to fit your specific needs.

images

I use something similar. Just a 5 mil childs med syringe connected to some .25 ID tubing

I tried their Fauna Marin Color Elements in my 465. Dosed it for 3 months, and my colors actually improved after I stopped rather than when I used it. This is not a food product as far as I know, and their food products may be wonderful.

Ringo®;952000 wrote: I use something similar. Just a 5 mil childs med syringe connected to some .25 ID tubing

Yea, DIY to save money is certainly possible for the most part. Only thing different is the added simple backflow eliminator to stop food from leaving the tip. Also the way this thing comes together it is virtually air tight which creates a unique suction for controlled dispensing. With other products often times the expelled water velocity irritates and closes the coral before the food reaches it. This eliminates this nicely.

Acroholic;952007 wrote: I tried their Fauna Marin Color Elements in my 465. Dosed it for 3 months, and my colors actually improved after I stopped rather than when I used it. This is not a food product as far as I know, and their food products may be wonderful.

This is not that at all. They have a line of aminos and the such of which I make no claim whatsoever to their success. Give this food a try, I highly recommend.

DawgFace;952008 wrote: Only thing different is the added simple backflow eliminator to stop food from leaving the tip. Also the way this thing comes together it is virtually air tight which creates a unique suction for controlled dispensing. With other products often times the expelled water velocity irritates and closes the coral before the food reaches it. This eliminates this nicely.

Now that is</em> a cool feature. Where did you pick it up at and how much?

DawgFace;952009 wrote: This is not that at all. They have a line of aminos and the such of which I make no claim whatsoever to their success. Give this food a try, I highly recommend.

Yup.....and just because I saw nothing does not make their amino line worthless. That was just my experience with it.

I have never fed my corals directly......always the fish food &gt; fish poop &gt; coral food route.

Ringo®;952010 wrote: Now that is</em> a cool feature. Where did you pick it up at and how much?

Pure Reef again. I was wondering around bored and decided I'd try a couple things they had laying around. I can't remember but I think they had a couple more of these as well... I think it was $30.00 dollars or so. Julian Sprung makes nothing cheap but rest assured it's usually made well, this certainly is one of them.

Acroholic;952015 wrote: Yup.....and just because I saw nothing does not make their amino line worthless. That was just my experience with it.

I have never fed my corals directly......always the fish food &gt; fish poop &gt; coral food route.

That was and had always been my route half due to convenience and half to just being unsuccessful with regards to them accepting. As far as convenience, that fell in line similarly with inability due to size, volume and 100 or so coral involved with the monster you have and that I had. Really out of the question frankly. Moving to a smaller tank I've taken on some corals that require special care and direct feedings so I've been reinvigorated on direct feeding and hopefully faster growing LPS. Such I suppose is the give and take of small to larger tanks. Smaller being a little more time for intimate care but ultimately limited to the number or critters you can keep.

I suppose I should clarify that direct feeding corals is not factually proven to do anything other than add more nutrients to your water column. Suggesting that my LPS will grow faster is nothing more than a hope of mine and anecdotal evidence coming from anyone else.

Back