Feedback on Aquascaping ideas Needed!!!!!

james s_

Market
Reaction score
I posted this in my Build Thread but would like opinions from more people...Please be honest and upfront if there is anything you would change and why. Thanks

Ok guys I am going to start building the acrylic racks for the live rock in my main tank...I would appreciate some feedback on my aquascaping ideas..

A few things I want to accomplish.....
1. Open feeling to the tank
2. Good water flow thru the rock formations
3. Plenty of room for the fish to swim (Big Tangs as well as small reef fish)

Here is a 4x8 sheet of styrofoam with the rock formations drawn out where I would like them to go. The plan is to cut out the acrylic sheets the same shape and attach acrylic rods to support it where needed. Please excuse the pics the drawings are pretty crappy and they look like kidney beans,but you get the idea.

Full sheet...

IMG_3495.jpg
alt="" />

Left side....

IMG_3496.jpg
alt="" />

Right side....

IMG_3497.jpg
alt="" />

James, you should figure out a way to maybe have an arch or two connecting one or two islands.

Ok 54 views and one response..... Thanks Steve! I was actually thinking about doing an arch in between the left and middle rock formation in the last pic I posted.

Would be nice and would leave a perfect spot for SPS on the top.

IME, it is impossible to plan aquascaping this way, because the rocks are so unique and specific, it never works out. The best way I have found is to get the rock, arrange it on the floor, and then move it into the tank. Id be down to help yuo out witht hat if youd like.

I'm pretty sure James is using the Tunze's along with Waveboxes.

Overflow is on the side and the tank is viewable from both sides... Pretty cool!

I like that you will have "islands" of LR. Stacking it bleacher-like will help show off corals better. I wish I had done that... I agree with doing a trial build on the floor, then transferring to the tank. With the size of your tank, you probably won't get many do-over chances so you want to get it like you want it on the first try as much as possible.

jmaneyapanda;262902 wrote: IME, it is impossible to plan aquascaping this way, because the rocks are so unique and specific, it never works out. The best way I have found is to get the rock, arrange it on the floor, and then move it into the tank. Id be down to help yuo out witht hat if youd like.

I am going to build the rock structures on the styrofoam sheet first. I could use some help if you want to come by one day. I have a bunch of sand I have to get washed out and put in the tank as well.

Ohh and I will see ya Saturday!:D

Steve;262915 wrote: I'm pretty sure James is using the Tunze's along with Waveboxes.

Overflow is on the side and the tank is viewable from both sides... Pretty cool!

Thanks Steve! Yes, I'm using 4 Tunze 6101's and 2 waveboxes.

I like your plan...and the arrangement is good to go for water flow. I agree with steve on a bridge or arch somewhere in the design, and jmaneyapanda is spot on - until you get the rocks, nothing can be for sure.....

Are you buying base dry rock to stack the formations or going for heavily seeded LR?

Either way, with the thought and effort you are putting into this build it is going to be great! Thanks for sharing and I cant wait to see it come together!

Seems like the formation favors one side of the tank over the other. Since you said it would be viewable from both sides, I don't think that formation looks right. In your first picture, it looks like the left side is the "show" side and the right side is just the back of the rocks. What about making the sides symmetrical and just mirroring one of them, like a ying-yang?

<span style="color: #000000"><span style="font-family: verdana">James,
You are really only giving us one dimension (plane) to work with here, and the beans are not numbered or lettered so it is hard to give specific feedback. Building some cardboard walls and considering the viewing angels might help you achieve your desired results.

Do you have a fish or a coral that you would like to display prominently? If so I would consider where it needs to be in the water level and build it a custom spot.

If you want an island feel, mabye get an overhead of your favorite group of islands and emulate its layout with rock work. Themes are always my favorite layouts because they create a nice discussion piece.

Right now you have 4 blobs. I would combine 2 of the blobs, making them larger and taller then create a cave in them, I would connect them to one of the island blobs with an arch, and have one island stand on its own. This would give you some contrast. But again I do not know what is the front, back, height, or viewing angels of your tank.

Good luck, and if you want some company moving the rocks or molding the acrylic let me know.

-Charles</span></span>

James S.;262970 wrote: I am going to build the rock structures on the styrofoam sheet first. I could use some help if you want to come by one day. I have a bunch of sand I have to get washed out and put in the tank as well.

Ohh and I will see ya Saturday!:D

Let me know when you're ready to rock (horrible pun intended).

jmaneyapanda;263015 wrote: Let me know when you're ready to rock (horrible pun intended).

Im going to start on it tomorrow and work on it thru Sunday.

au01st;262986 wrote: Seems like the formation favors one side of the tank over the other. Since you said it would be viewable from both sides, I don't think that formation looks right. In your first picture, it looks like the left side is the "show" side and the right side is just the back of the rocks. What about making the sides symmetrical and just mirroring one of them, like a ying-yang?

In the first pic, the pic is deceiving. The top is actually the left side of the tank, while the left and right sides are the front and back... It was hard to take a pic of it long ways with a camera all in one shot, so I took it from the side. The styrofoam is in the same proportions as the tank. 8' x 4'.

Cliscum;262992 wrote: <span style="color: #000000"><span style="font-family: verdana">James,
You are really only giving us one dimension (plane) to work with here, and the beans are not numbered or lettered so it is hard to give specific feedback. Building some cardboard walls and considering the viewing angels might help you achieve your desired results.

Do you have a fish or a coral that you would like to display prominently? If so I would consider where it needs to be in the water level and build it a custom spot.

If you want an island feel, mabye get an overhead of your favorite group of islands and emulate its layout with rock work. Themes are always my favorite layouts because they create a nice discussion piece.

Right now you have 4 blobs. I would combine 2 of the blobs, making them larger and taller then create a cave in them, I would connect them to one of the island blobs with an arch, and have one island stand on its own. This would give you some contrast. But again I do not know what is the front, back, height, or viewing angels of your tank.

Good luck, and if you want some company moving the rocks or molding the acrylic let me know.

-Charles</span></span>

Understood, It is kind of hard to illustrate my intentions with markings on styrofoam. Basically the left side(or the top in the first pic) will be the biggest "island" then the two middle ones will be connected with an arch. Leaving one small island in the front right corner. If you want to come by and give me a hand you are more then welcome.

Well maybe now you guys can get a picture of what I was after........
FTS....
IMG_3773.jpg
alt="" />

Left side.....
IMG_3774.jpg
alt="" />

Right side......
IMG_3775.jpg
alt="" />

Back