Filter Socks- Anyone able to do away with them?

filter socks are a real hassle. I ran them on my 150 for all of a wee before i took them out. They clog easily and cause the return pump to run dry if not cleaned every day. I saw no ill effects from removing them

I wish I could find a roller mat that would work the way me system is setup. I've looked high an low and it appears the only way I could do something is to design and build it myself.
Have you looked at the new sideways rollers? Also, have you thought of plumbing a royal exclusiv dream box fleece or similar type of roller that can be separately attached? Or have Geo design to you one of his sideways feeders for a much larger fleece roll for your massive system? Also deltec has a huge roller as well.

Have you looked at the new sideways rollers? Also, have you thought of plumbing a royal exclusiv dream box fleece or similar type of roller that can be separately attached? Or have Geo design to you one of his sideways feeders for a much larger fleece roll for your massive system? Also deltec has a huge roller as well.
This drain lines come through the wall literally just a few inches over the top of the sump. This makes doing anything outside of the sump near impossible.
I was interested in the Klir units that go in 7" sock holders. But I everything I hear is the Klir units are garbage and I'd need two of them.

I just realized I haven't posted many pics of the sump I'll try and find something to add in a sec.

It's an older pic but nothing has changed on the main drains.
View attachment 48670
You could add a pump in the sump to feed your roller. Ecotech does this for many of their tanks which is where I learned to do it as well. There looks to be plenty of room for a Clarisea as well as a small S2 like pump to feed it internally.

You could add a pump in the sump to feed your roller. Ecotech does this for many of their tanks which is where I learned to do it as well. There looks to be plenty of room for a Clarisea as well as a small S2 like pump to feed it internally.
Mine is fed off of the return manifold. It's been suggested that it should be fed by the drain, but my phosphates and nitrates haven't been a problem so I haven't bothered. My water is plenty clear.

In the space between the sump and the 60 Frag now sits my ATS and in the sump is a pump to feed it. I am also adding a pump this weekend to feed GFO & Carbon reactors. That will make 4 pumps in the sump as it is plus the 2 return pumps that sit outside the sump. The only place I could get any roller type piece of equipment is where the sock holders are and it'd have to be gravity fed. Maybe in a year or two after I've finished the rest of the basement and paid it off I will have the resources and time to upgrade the sump. For now my options are limited. :(

And yes, I know, I still do hate GFO. But I have to get these phosphates under control and this is the last resort. 😜

"But I have to get these phosphates under control "
I found Brightwell Phosphate E to do a better job than GFO, have you tried anything like that? I have plenty if you'd like to try it.

"But I have to get these phosphates under control "
I found Brightwell Phosphate E to do a better job than GFO, have you tried anything like that? I have plenty if you'd like to try it.
After using that into 10 micron socks I lost a Fox Face and a Blue Throat Trigger. Don't know if it was related or not but don't want to lose any more fish.

I haven't used filter socks in a long time.
Water drains into refugium area, baffle then skimmer, another baffle with some bio boxes and return.
I will also add that I don't and haven't tested my water in weeks. I also havent done a water change in months. Had 1 ICP test done in March/April made some corrections as after as dosing is considered and tank as been thriving since. I just sent out my 2nd ICP test on Tuesday waiting on thise results now

Back