Filter socks -- no rinsing required?

tonymission

Market
Reaction score
Got some socks yesterday from an LFS and rinsed them for 10 minutes each. Foam was still coming off them but i figured no big deal...instantly caused my skimmer to overflow. Duh

What is that foam??
Anyway

I've had some socks that do this and others that don't. anyone know a source online where I can buy socks that don't require an hour rinse? Can't be taking my skimmer offline for a day just because I changed my socks.

Going to buy 200 micron 7" nylon socks if anyone wants to jump in with me.

Same thing happen to me yesterday when I changed out mine with some new ones I purchased from eBay. I would say it's normal for new socks but after the first time their used you shouldn't have the problem anymore. My skimmer didn't overflow but it did make it skim a lot more yesterday.

I know I've had some before that didn't do this or foam nearly as much just rinsing in the sink. Can't remember where I got them though.

tonymission;1003907 wrote: Got some socks yesterday from an LFS and rinsed them for 10 minutes each. Foam was still coming off them but i figured no big deal...instantly caused my skimmer to overflow. Duh

What is that foam??
Anyway

I've had some socks that do this and others that don't. anyone know a source online where I can buy socks that don't require an hour rinse? Can't be taking my skimmer offline for a day just because I changed my socks.

Going to buy 200 micron 7" nylon socks if anyone wants to jump in with me.

I have tried a couple of different brands of socks, but they all seem to over-oxygenate the water to one degree or another.

I have started soaking new socks overnight in RO water... this seems to have a minimal impact on my skimmer when used the next day. One other method is to throw them in the washing machine (without detergent) and setting them on an "extra rinse" cycle.

tonymission;1003912 wrote: I know I've had some before that didn't do this or foam nearly as much just rinsing in the sink. Can't remember where I got them though.

I placed my last few orders of socks with McMaster-Carr and I didn't have any issues with them at all. They carry a huge assortment and delivery is incredibly fast.

Every time it was time for me to wash and re-use sock I was doing about the same process as others, used sock went to a bucket with clorox, then a cycle in the washer, what I would do last was give them an overnight, rinse them one more time and they were ready to go. Same process with a new one.

joseayes;1003930 wrote: Every time it was time for me to wash and re-use sock I was doing about the same process as others, used sock went to a bucket with clorox, then a cycle in the washer, what I would do last was is leave them soaking overnight in a bucket, water and dechlorinator, would remove any leftover Clorox, rinse them one more time with ro water and they were ready to go. Same process with a new one.

Edit: fixed, this autocorrect hates me.

It's probably something on the fabric that's 'new' (think starch in a new shirt or whatnot).

I'd wash/rinse the socks first (no soap, of course), and maybe put some carbon in the sump too (not in the socks it will pulverize), that might help with the over-foaming.

Jenn

Back