Fish Aggression

KonaTown

Reaction score
So I added a beautiful flame angel today to be the last fish to my 93 cube. From past experience and general understanding I know them to be somewhat middle of the pack on aggression. I wasn't really concerned it being the last fish and the only other fish I have in there that tends to be a bit of a bully is a standard old clown, and am aware that they are essentially damsels, but have never had an issue with them being a menace in the past. So I figured since the flame was slightly larger and has a formidable reputation itself I should be fine to throw him in there. My GOODNESS GRACIOUS, that regular old clown turned into Pennywise from IT! I hoped it would subside after a few minutes, but after realizing one of the fishes health was going to be in real danger I went ahead and eventually got the clown out (he was even undeterred by the net). and put him in a 39 gallon secondary take I have set up.

From here I'm going to let the flame figure out its territory and probably try to reintroduce the clown at that point.

Question: How long will I need to keep the clown in the secondary tank until his memory is erased of his old territory and the flame has an opportunity to establish itself?

So I added a beautiful flame angel today to be the last fish to my 93 cube. From past experience and general understanding I know them to be somewhat middle of the pack on aggression. I wasn't really concerned it being the last fish and the only other fish I have in there that tends to be a bit of a bully is a standard old clown, and am aware that they are essentially damsels, but have never had an issue with them being a menace in the past. So I figured since the flame was slightly larger and has a formidable reputation itself I should be fine to throw him in there. My GOODNESS GRACIOUS, that regular old clown turned into Pennywise from IT! I hoped it would subside after a few minutes, but after realizing one of the fishes health was going to be in real danger I went ahead and eventually got the clown out (he was even undeterred by the net). and put him in a 39 gallon secondary take I have set up.

From here I'm going to let the flame figure out its territory and probably try to reintroduce the clown at that point.

Question: How long will I need to keep the clown in the secondary tank until his memory is erased of his old territory and the flame has an opportunity to establish itself?
From what i have read if you can just change around the rock scape a little bit and it will seem like a whole new world to the fish.

I've heard that too, but my scape is glued and permanent so it aint goin nowhere... It may be wishful thinking, but hopefully there's something pretty definitive on how long the memory will last.

I've heard that too, but my scape is glued and permanent so it aint goin nowhere... It may be wishful thinking, but hopefully there's something pretty definitive on how long the memory will last.
Using a mirror helps a great deal with this. Putting one where the clown hangs out will divert it's attention away from the Flame.
Keep an eye on things when you do this. The clown may very well keep attacking it's reflection to the point that it's health will deteriorate.
You can try it while it's in the 39 to gauge it's reaction.

Back