Fish poo not so bad.

sailfish;341180 wrote: I use to think that was BS but now I am think I can agree with you. IMO they come from the ocean "Starving though".

Here is the thing back then I could buy a really super bright maricultured coral and they would hold there color. If they held there color for two weeks they stayed that way for the most part.

Now they take a month up to two months to adjust to the new tank. I guess what I am saying is if they are starving then they came in from the ocean like that. The really bright corals came in bright and stayed that way. A few week ago I bought one that was bright baby blue and it is slowing turning purple.:(

Joe

You are doubting nature??!!:eek: Comparing our tanks to an ovcanic reef is like copmaring a sandbox to the sahara. The scale of the two is absurdly different. While many corals may come from the ocean in a bright pastel colors, the water conditions and parameters are also amazing different. For example, the lighting is inconceibvably different, as is flow, stability of alkalinity and salinity, presence of bacteria, microbes, planktonic items, etc. Furthermore, we tend to "hodge podge" corals from different ref strata into a common ecotype in our tank. Is an acro from 10 feet on a reef crest gonna behave the same as an acro fom 200 feet away on a reef slope at 50 feet? We put them in the same conditions in our tanks.

Mariculturing is "practicing" the corals for tanks, if you will. These corals are taken, and put in a consistant spot, usually atypical from their natural habitat. Without getting to absurd, the coral clades and zooxanthellae uptake can be moderately manipulated in such manners. Does this cause maricultured pieces to fend better than wild pieces? Maybe. Does this explain why wild pieces so often craok in our tanks, or turn brown? Maybe.

To make a long story longer, I dont know what Im talking about.

sailfish;341190 wrote: Alright here is the formerly brown chalice. The only reason I kept it for so long was I saw the mother colony and it looks similar to this shot but with a little more green.

Badsschalice.jpg
alt="" />

Joe

holy crap thats what that thing looks like now:eek:....coool

LOL I don't ether but thought it would be interesting to talk about. I do think that too many hobbyist call corals with pastel colors starving when they looked like that stright from the ocean wether that be miracultured or wild.

I have a pic of one that was starving that I love. If this is what a coral looks like when its starving I should start feeding less. Na :D I like my fish and the colors of 90% of my corals. It does bother me when people think the color they get no matter what it is right. Every tank is different and who can say which color is really right unless you have brown corals

DSC_0002-9.jpg
alt="" />

Joe

jmaneyapanda;341201 wrote: You are doubting nature??!!:eek: Comparing our tanks to an ovcanic reef is like copmaring a sandbox to the sahara. The scale of the two is absurdly different. While many corals may come from the ocean in a bright pastel colors, the water conditions and parameters are also amazing different. For example, the lighting is inconceibvably different, as is flow, stability of alkalinity and salinity, presence of bacteria, microbes, planktonic items, etc. Furthermore, we tend to "hodge podge" corals from different ref strata into a common ecotype in our tank. Is an acro from 10 feet on a reef crest gonna behave the same as an acro fom 200 feet away on a reef slope at 50 feet? We put them in the same conditions in our tanks.

Mariculturing is "practicing" the corals for tanks, if you will. These corals are taken, and put in a consistant spot, usually atypical from their natural habitat. Without getting to absurd, the coral clades and zooxanthellae uptake can be moderately manipulated in such manners. Does this cause maricultured pieces to fend better than wild pieces? Maybe. Does this explain why wild pieces so often craok in our tanks, or turn brown? Maybe.

To make a long story longer, I dont know what Im talking about.

Joe:

I guess my point is that starving in the aquarium and starving in the ocean are two different things. Our aquariums cannot conceivably provide near the degree of ancillary and benenficial microsupplements that these corals are constantly bathed in, out in the ocean. These corals may be pale and pastel in the ocean because the ingest 1 million times the planktonic food that our captive corals can even dream of having (do corals dream?) However, once they get to our tank, and no longer have this constant food source available, and are limited to their zooxanthellic production, how does this coral thrive? So, to try to acquire the same level of morphology in the absence of these items will require a tradeoff, and in my opinion a risky and negative tradeoff.

I think we also make the assumption that all the different locations that corals thrive in the wild are supplying them the same type and amount of nutrients or trace elements. I think that it is diffilcult for us to make accurate comparison between our tanks and the different locales of wild corals. With sea water being pretty consistent there are still too many unknown variables. Do all the parameters of the water on reefs remain the same . I would think not. Corals bleach out in the wild as well, sometimes with explanation sometimes without one.

if this doesn't make sense, it's the wine.....I swear.

IMHO

In order to duplicate NSW in the reef tank you would have to have fresh, living & perfectly balanced, oxygenated Saltwater that enters one side of the tank, flows "correctly" across corals to feed, replenish, remove waste, and exit the other side with a flow that cannot be duplicated.

mysterybox;341953 wrote: if this doesn't make sense, it's the wine.....I swear.

IMHO

In order to duplicate NSW in the reef tank you would have to have fresh, living & <u>perfectly balanced</em></u>, oxygenated Saltwater that enters one side of the tank, flows "correctly" across corals to feed, replenish, remove waste, and exit the other side with a flow that cannot be duplicated.

Define please

corals in a reef are getting the nutrients that they need, but at the same time they have their wastes removed. They never "sit in the same tank water".

pretty much the same nutrients, calcium, minor elements, O2, CO2, Mag, Flow, Salinity, etc.

Our nutrients go up & down, along with all those things listed above. They have variations, too, but more consistent as in season, night versus day, tides, etc.

The flow brings & removes fresh seawater in a flow unmatched by human made power heads. We are just "trying" to come as close as possible, never achieving the the exact duplication.

I understand now. I thought you were referring to a perfectly balanced water content as in mag calcium iodide etc, with specific levels.

I would have to say IMO they look much healthier than before just beautiful SPS coloring now and polyp extension is nice.

Is that a blue Millie becuase I would love to ad a frag of that to my collection. Might trade you a frag of my ATL red city Millie.

Back