Fish with ich

Forgot to mention I have a small chiller on the DT keeping it at 82. The room is not air conditioned at all so it gets between 85-90 regularly

Can you get the chiller to keep it any lower? Or is the chiller maxed out keeping it at 82?

Does the temperature swing? A swing can be very stressful. If it does vary, how much?

It's undersized so it's maxed out there. Temp stays pretty constant as far as I've observed

I had a ich free tank until I brought home a hippo tang. he was QT for two weeks and as soon as he went into the DT the next day he had ich. I have dealt with it by ignoring it and getting a UV filter. the fish was eating like a hippo ( no pun intended ) and seemed happy. I dont know if the ich ran its cycle or if the UV filter helped but my tank has been ich free for 3 months now. Sometimes ich happens. just let it run its course, make sure they are fed, and keep an eye on the fish.

If you had ick in the display three months ago you still have ich. Also, two weeks is not an appropriate timeframe for quarantine.

It's not a "story". It's the truth. If you understood the Cryptocaryon</em> lifecycle you would know that the disappearance of white spots by no means the protozoan is gone. Besides, most infections involve the gills and are invisible without microscopy. I am glad your fish show no current signs of infection.

First, Stacy is a "her" and not a him.

Second, I will put my comments in any thread where people are giving misleading or misinformed advice/information.

Third, the health and well-being of our aquarium animals is the responsible of the aquarist who keeps them. Aquatic pets deserve to be well cared for. That is what this club is about.

Stacy you don't seem to understand. The information I gave was not misleading or misinformed. I gave a testimony to my own experience. it was directed at the person that originally asked the question. You however directed your comments to ME. I didn't ask for them. Please go find a soapbox around people that want to hear you.

jstrick930;975572 wrote: I had a ich free tank until I brought home a hippo tang. he was QT for two weeks and as soon as he went into the DT the next day he had ich. I have dealt with it by ignoring it and getting a UV filter. the fish was eating like a hippo ( no pun intended ) and seemed happy. I dont know if the ich ran its cycle or if the UV filter helped but my tank has been ich free for 3 months now. Sometimes ich happens. just let it run its course, make sure they are fed, and keep an eye on the fish.

Please don't take this as any sort of sound advice, OP. Dealing with the problem by "ignoring it and getting a UV filter(sterilizer)" will likely result in the continued loss of your fish. There is very likely a reason why you are having a tank-wide outbreak of crypto, and ignoring the problem hoping it goes away on its own is definitely not the right course of action. A UV will help, but it's not the solution to the problem either.

There's a difference between having one tang showing symptoms and a whole tank full of fish that are being killed off by a parasite. Letting it "run it's course" will likely result in continued loss of livestock.

jstrick930;975572 wrote: I had a ich free tank until I brought home a hippo tang. he was QT for two weeks and as soon as he went into the DT the next day he had ich. I have dealt with it by ignoring it and getting a UV filter. the fish was eating like a hippo ( no pun intended ) and seemed happy. I dont know if the ich ran its cycle or if the UV filter helped but my tank has been ich free for 3 months now. Sometimes ich happens. just let it run its course, make sure they are fed, and keep an eye on the fish.
That's probably the worst advice I have ever seen.. just ignore something that can cause your fish to die?? Really?

jstrick930;975657 wrote: Stacy you don't seem to understand. The information I gave was not misleading or misinformed. I gave a testimony to my own experience. it was directed at the person that originally asked the question. You however directed your comments to ME. I didn't ask for them. Please go find a soapbox around people that want to hear you.

Actually, you don't seem to understand. It's not your thread, your forum, and you don't even belong to this club. We have the right to respond to any thread or comment we please. You're giving bad advice. Your situation is not the same as the OP's situation.

jstrick930;975657 wrote: Stacy you don't seem to understand. The information I gave was not misleading or misinformed. I gave a testimony to my own experience. it was directed at the person that originally asked the question. You however directed your comments to ME. I didn't ask for them. Please go find a soapbox around people that want to hear you.

I did direct my comments to you. You said your tank was ick-free for three months. If you have not pulled all the fish from the display and fallowed your tank for a minimum of 72 days the display is not ick-free. Even if you did fallow the tank- if the fish are not treated properly before reintroducing them to the display then ick will be put back in the tank.

People spread misinformation about microbes that that they do not understand. I will absolutely get "on my soapbox" and correct misinformation.

Can you guys tell me where I get one of those "ich detectors" ya'll have? It sure would be helpful.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html">http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html</a>

This is some good information.

jstrick930;975666 wrote: Can you guys tell me where I get one of those "ich detectors" ya'll have? It sure would be helpful.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html">http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html</a>

This is some good information.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's the same one you're using to say you DONT have ich. Understanding the life cycle is important and it's obvious you don't. White dots or no dots on fish is hardly the indicator of ich versus no ich.

And I'm only chiming in because you're acting like a hotshot (trying to be nice there) when clearly you don't get it. UV filter as you put it (I assume sterilizer) really has nothing to do with ich treatment and most members here (which you aren't, as pointed out) are going to do whatever they can to stop the spread of misinformation, which could negatively affect a well-intentioned member and their livestock.

I teach microbiology. I understand the lifecycle of Cryptocaryon.

The ich detector I use are called a compound light microscope and scientific knowledge. :)

Update: there seems to be an explosion of flat worms. Could that be an issue?

Back