Flame Angel Reef Safe?

reefcharger

Market
Reaction score
Let's hear the personal experiences...

I really want one but not at the cost of expensive coral

No matter what the feedback, it's a chance. Everyone's experience and situation is different. Potential is ther for them to be a bit districtructive.

Case by base scenarios. Mine is good with coral but someone else could've had a nipper. It's a gamble your going to have to take if you really want one

Depends on the individual. Same applies with any of the Centropyge sp.

Most at risk will be clams or fleshy corals like Trachyphyilla or Scolymia, whose flesh resembles clam mantles.

Usually they don't bother SPS - but again, the fish don't read the textbooks ;)

I had a Coral Beauty once that left everything alone except for Xenia - it mowed the stuff down like there was no tomorrow. Some may consider that a good thing.

It's always a calculated risk.

Jenn

Yup. No matter anyones experience is with them it will always be a 50/50 chance your taking on them. Also keep in mind there are many situations where they are perfectly fine... then a year later they decide they like to eat coral one day.

I have had bad luck. I have always kept mainly SPS. I have tried 4 species of dwarf angels, all of them nipped SPS polyps. Not trying anymore.

What 4 types did you try?

atlorange;1058467 wrote: I have had bad luck. I have always kept mainly SPS. I have tried 4 species of dwarf angels, all of them nipped SPS polyps. Not trying anymore.

I've had several angels. No problem with anything other than each other. I think you can no more label a given fish than you can a human ethnic group. While there may be statistics to back up any claim, the reality is there are no rules. I have about as "non reef safe" an Angel as you can get in my Acro dominated mixed reef. Also have a Potters. They have a decent reputation already.

He doesn't bother a thing.
c70e0e5de534d0cfd043b65d55d73392.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had good luck with potter's and tried two flames with zero luck. They are gorgeous though so I may try again...

Back