Flame angel

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
Anyone had much luck with them?? I had one that lived for like a week. I'm wanting for my 135 reef tank; I guess the first question is would he be ok and leave my other stuff alone?? I've got a little of everything-softies, SPS, LPS and clams, etc.; second-are they fairly hardy?? Did I just have a bad FA?? What do ya'll feed 'em?

pm cameron i do not know what he did with his but it looked really nice.

I've got a source on one--but wanna make sure they are feasable and will not eat all my stuff-that's all

My favorite fish and I'll have one someday. My fantasy was to have a mated pair, but they're difficult to establish.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

I'm 0-3 with flame angels.word on the street is that some develop a taste for coral polyps.

Word Word on the street

I had one for a while until he went carpet surfing. They are foragers and constanly pick at stuff. They can be an irritant to clams because of this. For the most part, I think they are reef safe.

I've had one for about 2 years now in my 120. Appears to be fairly hardy as he has been moved 5 times and even spent about a month in a rubbermaid container. Its my favorite fish. Eats anything I put in the tank but isnt all that interested in algae sheets. He does pick at it, but not nearly as much as my lemon peel or purple tang. Compared to those fish, he is a little shy but still eats from my hand. I only have mushrooms and star polyps in the tank so can't comment too much on his reef safe-ness but he hasn't messed with any of that stuff.

my angel ONLY pics on kenya tree FRAGS not the colony or anything so i do not care. angels have alot of personality if you can get them to live.

mine never bothered my coral but they are hit or miss. if he doesnt do well in your tank i will take it

I have kept FAs for years... I love them... I have never had a problem keeping them alive nor have I ever had a problem with them picking at corals or clams. Maybe I have always been lucky but I think they are one of the safest angels out there, IMHO.

blind1993;149594 wrote: my angel ONLY pics on kenya tree FRAGS not the colony or anything so i do not care. angels have alot of personality if you can get them to live.

if that happened-that'd be GREAT!

I'd love to have a flame, but I've got a coral beauty so that's not an option. The Coral Beauty probably has a worse rep than the flame, but mine hasn't touched anything that he's not supposed to. (I might have to have Blind teach him how to eat KT frags!)

Eric, I have a 3 inch flame in my reef tank and he's great. He doesn't bother any of my corals and most of all, he gets along with everyone. He was given to me by a friend and I was very apprehensive about putting him in my tank. I'm glad I have, he's a beautiful little angel.

Geehh;149647 wrote: I might have to have Blind teach him how to eat KT frags!

pffft... that's nuttin

I've taught my angel how to frag my kenya & xenia, mount the frags on live rock rubble and bag the frags for the meeting.

Mine doesn't bother anything and I've had him for over a year. They are hit or miss though and they will pick. It's better to have a large tank so they spread their "picking" out over many corals then it doesn't really bother any. Every once in a while i'll see mine pick right on a coral but no big deal.

Gwhiz;149647 wrote: I'd love to have a flame, but I've got a coral beauty so that's not an option. The Coral Beauty probably has a worse rep than the flame, but mine hasn't touched anything that he's not supposed to. (I might have to have Blind teach him how to eat KT frags!)

some how i used to drop all of the pods i found on the kenya and now it just picks at the frags and doesnt let them get out of control so i am happy.

Back