flame wrasses, 6-line and gramma - oh my?

dave green

Market
Reaction score
Before I make this decision, I'd love yall's input. My 55gal is being groomed into a reef tank. I have a 6-line and a Brazilian Gramma in there right now with a bunch of crabs (3 really big sally lightfoots and more).

How would a flame wrasse or a pair of flame wrasses fare in there? How would the other fish do?

From what I've read so far, it seems like they'll be okay (theoretically). I've seen minimum tank sizes ranging from 30 to 50 gallons.

I'm not planning for any further fish for this tank.

Flame wrasses are pricey right now and I'm assuming that since you have a 6-line, you have a tightly covered tank? It would be a shame to lose that investment to a carpet-surfing incident.

You might have some aggression/territorial issues with the 6-line, but I believe it's on a case-by-case basis. Some 6-lines are milder in temperament than others.

Good luck.

Oh you're absolutely right about not wanting to lose those guys from jumping.... actually, I don't have anything on top except the light.... do you have any suggestions for covering a 55 gal?

I have eggcrate on mine, but I still don't trust it to be secure. I'm going to talk to the guy who made the tops for Sal @ Saltwater City to see about having acrylic tops made -- believe his name is Woody. Tops will be simple lift-offs -- two sheets of acrylic/one one either set of the brace/drilled with small holes

I would not recommend adding any cirrhilabrus wrasses in with an established sixline. You'd be asking for it.

You might get away with it in a large enough tank. I wouldn't risk it though... Flame wrasses are too pretty and too expensive to risk like this.

Back