Flatworm die off

fish scales2

Market
Reaction score
These guys started populating my tank a few months back, I did not sweat it too bad and added a few fish that I hoped would help. I noticed a decline just a few days ago and last night I noticed massive die off. I cannot figure out what may have caused this? Any thoughts.

Alk 3.9 mEq/l
ph 8.1
calcium 480
nitrates 30
no ammonia or trites

I added my first large fish 2 weeks ago (orange shoulder tang 4.5 in) I mention this because I have also seen an increase in algae growth since.

All corals look fine but I am preparing to load up all Le coral and some others to take up to the store. I am concerned about the toxins causing serious issues. I have started skimming very wet and done 20% wc.

Run carbon!

Once a fe die, they release a toxin that in turn kills more, thus resulting in a domino effect. Let them die and keep up with the carbon and wc's and you'll be fine. Make sure you're using filter socks to catch the dead "bodies". As long as the fish don't eat the bodies as they rise to the top, you should be okay.

Keep us updated.

Also putting filter pads around powerheads, or a net in front of a powerhead can help catch the dead bodies.

Thanks guys, I have put 10# of carbon in and will do another wc this eve. All the fw are just laying on the bottom, I have removed a ton through siphon but there are tons more. I turned 1 of my powerheads off but did not cover as recomended as I am now at work. Will do this evening.

Back