Flooded basement again.!!! tell me how

reefstinger

Market
Reaction score
OK , i have a JBJ auto shutoff for my RODI/ reservoir (20 gal)that FEEDS the sump when the level gets low. I have one float switch in the sump and one in the bottom of 20 gal reservoir so i don't burn up my pump when it gets too low feeding RODI to the sump!! It works perfect. My problem now is the my 32 gallon brute RODI storage that I use a cutoff valve to fill it is overflowing in the floor when my absent mind forgets to cut off the water supply. One should I now but the auto shutoff for the RO/DI unit and 2 . should I add a float switch to the 32 gallon brute. help please. Time to get serious when my mind goes bad!!:roll:

I have a float valve in my brute containers. They are the simple floats from brs. With the shutoff device added to your rodi filters will stop flow coming from the rodi kit.

Edit: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/ro-di-accessories/auto-shut-off-kit-for-reverse-osmosis-systems.html

ff337;784460 wrote: i have a float valve in my brute containers. They are the simple floats from brs. With the shutoff device added to your rodi filters will stop flow coming from the rodi kit.

Edit: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/ro-di-accessories/auto-shut-off-kit-for-reverse-osmosis-systems.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/ro-di-accessories/auto-shut-off-kit-for-reverse-osmosis-systems.html</a>[/QUOTE]
+1

Def get a float valve. It has saved me sooooo much trouble of remembering to shut off the rodi system. :thumbup:

Sent from my tank using tapatalk
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
784469=38706-uploadfromtaptalk1343532632606.jpg
>
784469=38706-uploadfromtaptalk1343532632606.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1343532632606.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Thanks Guys, just ordered what I need from BRS. Tired of this crap, been a bad day for me in this hobby, sometimes it takes us extra work to finally spend a few dollars. Got home and the RODI reservoir flooded basement , maybe 10 gallons. I did however purchase a nice showpiece today, Monti 5" diameter on a 8 lb rock from a guy that got out of the hobby. packed it good , got home and the 2 pieces sticking out which made it show piece was broke off. im still crying!! $60.00 and crying. I loved this piece for my new step up. now i have the two pieces sitting in the sand till i glue them onto a rock tomorrow.:soapbox:

ok, my turn to ask a question, so for intruding, why does my ro/di (made by seachem) still run but doesnt produce clean water.. just dumps the bad water unless i cut off supply

Tell me which combination of FS and solenoid you use. Thank you.
alcatoe;784477 wrote: You need the float valve and shutoff solenoid. The solenoid releases the pressure from the rodi unit. Without it, it may still pass water through float valve.

Kirru;784482 wrote: ok, my turn to ask a question, so for intruding, why does my ro/di (made by seachem) still run but doesnt produce clean water.. just dumps the bad water unless i cut off supply

Need some more info in order to help you. Do you want to give us a call when you are in front of the system today?

Russ

Edit: Float switch = a electrical switch which energizes or breaks a circuit depending upon the water level in a tank.

Float valve = A mechanical valve that allows or blocks the flow of water depending upon the water level in a tank.

Kirru;784482 wrote: ok, my turn to ask a question, so for intruding, why does my ro/di (made by seachem) still run but doesnt produce clean water.. just dumps the bad water unless i cut off supply

That isnt right. The auto shut off solenoid should turn off the supply when back pressure is applied to the RO output.

alcatoe;784477 wrote: You need the float valve and shutoff solenoid. The solenoid releases the pressure from the rodi unit. Without it, it may still pass water through float valve.
I use a solenoid with a timer as well also prevents short cycles aqnd as an added precaution.

I actually have always had waste water running 24-7 with an asov, float switch.....

crap, I thought they were supposed to run somewhat continuous...d'oh!

you can call me!

mysterybox;784506 wrote: I actually have always had waste water running 24-7 with an asov, float switch.....

you can call me!
check for a check valve as well on the ro membrane

Here is a picture of how the auto shut off should be plumbed. The check valve is sometimes internal and not a seperate piece but the order in which all the piece go together remains the same.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

mysterybox;784506 wrote: I actually have always had waste water running 24-7 with an asov, float switch.....

you can call me!

I'd hate to see your water bill! ASOVs are famous for going bad and I finally just stopped replacing mine. It was causing my RODI unit to run for 10-15 minutes at a time which I've HEARD is bad for them. Now I just run it every couple of days for a few hours at a time. The new 180 is THIRSTY though, so I'm going to have to come up with a better plan.

grouper therapy;784508 wrote: check for a check valve as well on the ro membrane

Yes, I have one!!!

I'll post a pic later!!! I'm working!

Thanks!

Sorry to hear that, you know you are a TRUE reefer now! At least it wasn't saltwater on nails! They rust really quick!! We wish we had showed you our RO/DI with auto cut off when you were here Fri. You are welcome to come over anytime, you have to bring Vickie too. Holley &Hal:)

grouper therapy;784498 wrote: I use a solenoid with a timer as well also prevents short cycles and as an added precaution.

Wow Grouper , I have got to make the trip to Dallas and see your setup by appointment of course. You got it going on Dude. :thumbs:

Edit:
Raz0945;784548 wrote: Sorry to hear that, you know you are a TRUE reefer now! At least it wasn't saltwater on nails! They rust really quick!! We wish we had showed you our RO/DI with auto cut off when you were here Fri. You are welcome to come over anytime, you have to bring Vickie too. Holley &Hal:)

no doubt Holley , we will be there soon!! Got a lot more to learn:doh:

Back