Flow in a 90g

izib

Market
Reaction score
Ive got a standard 90gal RR tank with a mix of everything (all types of corals, fish, lr) and currently have 3 maxijets on a wavemaker and two outlets on a return line. Im looking for more flow, especially to stir up the dead spots.

What should I get?

Im looking at a closed loop, Tunze pumps, Maxijet mods, or the Hydor pumps. Also, how many and what flow should I get?

The only other key part is that my tank is flat against the wall so I can not add a magnet to the back.

CL is kinda out if you don't have room to do the plumbing. The next question is your budget. Hydors are cheap and move a lot of water. I would think at least two Koralia 4s if you are going to do SPS. Tunze 6045s (or 6025s if you don't mind some modding) are prettier, smaller and put out almost as much flow as Koralia 4. Same number as the Hydors. Tunze makes some excellent high end pumps if you have the budget for them. I would avoid the MJ Mods. They seem to eventually get real noisy. Seio pumps are a consideration but the larger flow ones are HUGE. Ecotech makes the Vortech which is pretty cool but expensive and early models had some problems.

I personally have 3 Resun Wavers on my desk that put out an estimated 4000gph each and from quick tests that number isn't far off. The controller that ships with them has been known to be problematic. You can buy them off ebay for around $110 and you would likely only need one or two if you wanted to do a wavemaker setup.

As for how much flow, generally speaking 20x is a minimum for SPS but the truth is it depends on how much light you are running. The more light you have the more flow you need. You really can't have too much flow (at least on a reasonable level) for SPS.

Let me word the issue with getting behind the tank. The tank is against the wall but I have a sump room behind the tank so I can get pipes through the wall. That being said Im not willing to attempt to drill the tank but could run them over the top. I guess my concern with the CL is being able to get a large soft flow.

As for lighting, its 2 250watt MH and a few hundred watts of VHO.

As for money, cheaper is better but whats another $1,000!?!?! JK.

Another concern is the sand getting blown.

As for the size of the Hydors, are they really much bigger than the Tunze when side beside?

Not that much bigger but they are larger.

If you don't mind the look of pumps in the tank, I say go for the powerheads. They are cheaper, they are less expensive over the long run and they are more flexible. The downsides are you have a pump in the tank to look at, possible electrical problems in the tank and some critters can get chewed up by them easier. The big advantage to closed loop is it looks a bit better. I personally don't mind pumps in the tank look.

I don't think you will have sand issues unless you go with one of those Wavers I was talking about.

Oh... there is always wave makers, but I am not a big fan of the Wave2k from what I have heard and the Tunze is expensive. Dawgdude is building one that looks promising however.

Are the Hydors or Tunze known for getting fish? The smallest fish I have is a small clown.

i had a seio 850 and well this didn't happen to me but the previouse owner said that it...kinda hard to say it but...it purade the blennie it was a algea blennie

My Hydors got a clown hosting, but even after 2-3 minutes getting thrashed around he was fine. Little screwy now, but still alive. The Tunze have very good shielding. The expensive Tunzes I believe have a quick on then off then full blast just to make sure.

Anyone worried about anemones and fish getting eaten by powerheads, get an Aquaclear (I prefer the 70 @ 400gph) powerhead and a quick filter attatchment.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~HG10575.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~HG10575.html</a>
You can hide the filter attachment in the rocks, as it's easy to remove the powerhead from it.

Aquaclear pumps generate a lot of heat and are large. Bang for buck they don't produce all that well either as they cost about what a Koralia 4 costs and put out about 1/3 the power.

The Tunze 6060 look pretty good to me. Been researching them. Cannot be controlled but they do put out a lot of flow (1600 GPS with a wide stream) and are rated for 66-210 gallon tanks. Sure they are $137.00 but I have seen used for around $100 with the magnets. But, they are harder to find as people do not want to get rid of them. Flow is comparable to 2 K3s for about the same price as 2 K3s. But that is comparing new to used.

How about this?

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html</a>

Could be very easily modified to plumb from your pump room.

Check the video.

<span style="font-size: 14px;"><span style="color: blue;">Loren W.</span></span>

i think he took it off cause he was having problems with his conopy lift but i think he is putting it back in

Back