Flow rate

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
Not talking turnover through the sump or main pump ,but rather current flow GPH .

With the new pumps , gyres, dc stuff and what not . What's the new GPH target for flow . 5x 10x 20x 50x ?

I know every thing has variables and each tank is different. So let's say an target for :

Sps dominant
Lps dominant
Or mixed reef .

I have heard and been told 10x. In my tank I just turned up the crossflow wavemaker until everything looked happy

The BRS guideline for turnover really hasn't changed. 20x for a LPS and softy tank and 40x for a SPS tank. I have a mixed reef and use the 40x turnover rate, and I have found that the LPS like a high turnover as long as they are not being blasted directly by the flow. Then again neither does SPS. My torches actually like the higher flow. I do make sure the speed varies and the flow pattern varies though. The truth is, with variable speeds it is hard to judge turnover.

I targeted 20-40x flow when sizing pumps.

Example:
So, in my IM 50 gal display with an MP40, the minimum recommended run rate is 30%, which is 1350 gph & 27x.
In the IM 25 Lagoon frag tank with an IceCap Gyre 1000 at 50% would be 20x.
The Varios 2 return pump will be adjusted to give ~4-5x additional flow to each tank.

Back