Foam or no foam for tank stand

millersteve383

Market
Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently picked up a 5x2 150 gallon tank that I am building for my wife. I am building the stand myself and was wondering if I should place foam under the tank. I used plywood for the top where the tank will sit. It is very level but I did have to use two pieces so there is a tiny inconsistency. I asked someone at the LFS and they recommended to use the blue foam (probably 1/2 -3/4) that builders use underneath siding. I will upload a pic of the stand. Thanks!
c6eda90bd498622d86364d8383adbc2c.jpg
alt="" />
19ddb798a496b13e3057dc70881bd325.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c8185e807cb97d380775626e0cbe19a0.jpg
alt="" />

Judging by the tank in the background it appears to have a frame. In that case you don't need foam. Foam could cause pressure on the center of the tank which could lead to failure down the road. Best bet is to set the tank on the stand empty and check with level. If level and the tank has no gaps all the way around I'd say you're good to go.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

grouper therapy;1094368 wrote: Why use 2 pieces?

I agree. BC plywood is like $25 for a 4x8 sheet. The big box stores will even rip to size for you if you do not have a table saw.

I used to pieces because I was using three eights plywood that had some waves in it but I have just now remove that and got some three-quarter inch oak that is very straight

millersteve383;1094569 wrote: I used to pieces because I was using three eights plywood that had some waves in it but I have just now remove that and got some three-quarter inch oak that is very straight

Good call!:up:

millersteve383;1094753 wrote:
66ed8ec0bda2dd560c4ed38766b56fe0.jpg
alt="" />

Still have a lot of work but it's coming together!

Is the frame of the tank on the top of the stand? it kinda looks like in the picture that the bottom glass panel is resting on the top of the stand.
CHris

The black moulding around the tank has a notch on the inside. That notch is resting on plywood so no glass is touching if that's what you are asking. I am adding trim to cover the tank frame. I am going for a mix between this pic and want to also make it match my fireplace.
7843a5e49a71bb2ad964caa2a5a11081.jpg
alt="" />
ecbaceb96e8998c4122db1a80c8c29cf.jpg
alt="" />

O ok ,I couldn't tell by the picture. Love the stand though. I end up custom making all my stands.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Very nice :)

To answer the original question - no foam. Brandon summed it up - uneven pressure can cause the tank to twist and seams fail.

If it was an acrylic tank, YES use foam. Acrylic gives a bit, and the foam will help guard against pressure points, and an acrylic tank needs to be completely supported all across the bottom.

A glass tank with a trim only needs support around the edges on the trim and it's important to be level and square.

Jenn

Back