Focusing on the BIG 3

jmaneyapanda;372113 wrote: Yes I do, based on our history and you related and correlated actions. You know what I'm talking about too.

Jeremy, your writing style is easily as abrasive as mine. So let's just agree that that's why you and I have knocked heads a couple of times.

-Dustin

JennM;372110 wrote: Well - at least we see eye to eye on something today :)

I guess we all missed the disclaimer that the article is the author's opinion.

:D

Jenn

Nope. I didn't miss it. I just think it's poppycock.

RedEDGE2k1;372116 wrote: Jeremy, your writing style is easily as abrasive as mine. So let's just agree that that's why you and I have knocked heads a couple of times.

-Dustin

That was never in question. But your response to my statemnt in this thread was attacking me, because of our history. In addition to the other steps you've taken with this thread. I WILL defend my principles here.

jmaneyapanda;372117 wrote: Nope. I didn't miss it. I just think it's poppycock.

I was being facetious, Jeremy.

You come across as a very angry man today. Can't even agree with you without getting flack from you.

Lighten up, friend.

Jenn

jmaneyapanda;372118 wrote: That was never in question. But your response to my statemnt in this thread was attacking me, because of our history. In addition to the other steps you've taken with this thread. I WILL defend my principles here.

Jeremy,

Attacking? History? Defending your principles?

You need to relax. We're talking about friggin chillers on a fish tank forum for crying out loud. If you can't handle people not agreeing with you then maybe you should stay away from discussion forums.

-Dustin

No one else tell me to relax or lighten up. Unless you'd like it when someone else tells you PUBLICLY how you must feel and behave.

I expressed my opinion on the topic. Agree or disagree, that's fine. With the exception on one person, I have no more or less anger towards anyone in this thread. But dong begin to presume you can instruct me how to feel or react. If you have a question, concern, or comment on my demeanor, you can PM me.

Excuse me for creating such discontent.

This kind of reaction gives me reason to avoid posting in the future. Sure, I'm new compared to most of you -- thus a bit shy about making any kind of contribution to this board. Now I see why. Some of you need to get a personal 'chiller.'

Geez, Jeremy, I was simply trying to break a bit of tension. I apologize if I made you angrier. That wasn't my intention, and I don't think starting a bickering match by PM is a constructive use of either of our time. I really don't have a quarrel with you - at least not one worth freaking out about.

I stick by my own opinions and experiences as noted in this thread, and I am able to do so without name-calling or getting defensive or angry. Sometimes I get the *impression* that when you get an idea about something, you completely close your mind to other possibilities. If that's wrong on my part, then it comes from my own misinterpretation of your post. Sometimes you can be "right" but that doesn't make the other person "wrong" either. Just different. It's been said ad nauseum, there are many different ways of doing things in this hobby.

We both agree that the original article is rather inaccurate as stating that the author's way is the only way. Well, I maintain that your way isn't the only way either - and I stated so respectfully. If you can't accept that, that's unfortunate.

It's certainly not worth *anyone* getting upset about - in my opinion.

I'll let it go now and move on to something else - I've said about all that I can say on this and still be positive and constructive.

Jenn

everybody just chill out before I move this thread to rants & close this thread.

back on topic:

that article isn't very good for anything, except in trying people to but some equipment that is most likely not necessary.

Sorry, Geno, nuthin' personal against you, but the writer of the article is giving out very poor, misguided information to sell stuff.

I wouldn't take anything personal here, it's all about the writer of that said article, and then a heated discussion around that. no big.

jmaneyapanda;372108 wrote: Jenn- yes I would. Which is EXACTLY why claiming a chiller is necessary is misinformation. It is no different than claiming fans are "necessary". It's bs to make that claim in an article.

Agreed, I'm running exclusively MH's with NO chiller and my temp has has been between 78.2 and 79.5 since I set it up in April, and is normally around 78.9 on the high side. The only time I'd be worried is if the power went out and my AC stopped, at that point a chiller won't do a thing anyway.

But it probably depends quite a bit on your total surface area, ambient air temp, lighting and how enclosed and restricted the surface area/lighting is.

<span style="color: #1f497d"><span style="font-family: Calibri">Ralph</span></span>

<span style="color: #1f497d"><span style="font-family: Calibri">"Ah. We feed live brine which are gut loaded with Metronidazole. All the fish get this. Beyond that, again, it is the natural immune system of a healthy, non-stressed fish which will provide most of the internal pathogen control. </span></span>

<span style="color: #1f497d"><span style="font-family: Calibri">Mark Martin"</span></span>

<span style="color: #1f497d"><span style="font-family: Calibri">btw, not saying that this guy isn't knowledgeable, but he is the owner of bluezoo.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="color: #1f497d"></span></span>
btw, Macropharyngodon choati are back in stock there if anyone was looking.

That's why I love my Reefkeeper Lite. Since I installed it in May, I've seen measurable growth in several SPS frags and LPS corals. I attribute it to a more stable tank. Temp swing is .3 degrees, and only went up to 81 max using fans when I was having A/C problems from mid-June to early-July (got a whole new A/C installed so that is no longer a worry). I don't currently use a chiller, but plan to get one soon as I'm going MH with an enclosed stand and canopy.

I didn't read the article, but I don't read things written by people who sell things.

geno;372079 wrote: Wow -- didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess some folks are more sensitive than others.

Barbara, thanks for your comments. As always they were tactful and appreciated.

Below is the article I read and the author. Perhaps he doesn't contribute to the more sophisticated reef journals -- however, I thought he made worthwhile points. Maybe I did a poor job of summering his article.

<u>Mark Martin on the Big Three</u>
Salinity, pH and Temperature in the Reef Aqaurium
In a reef tank, the big three—
• Salinity,
• Temperature and
• pH—
Are far more important than in a fish-only system, but every aquarist should shoot for stability in these three parameters. Every single tank crash in the history of aquaria has been a direct or indirect result of a lack of stability in one or all of the big three. It is funny when you think about—there are just three parameters you really need to watch, and yet so many people simply don’t. I mean, sure, it is important to look at nitrates and calcium in a reef tank, but if you ignore the big three long enough, it does not matter if you have 500ppm calcium or 0ppm nitrates. The tank will eventually crash. So what can you do today to get the big three taken care of? Read on.
Use a Chiller, Heater and Controller to Maintain Temperature Stability in a Reef Tank
Temperature stability is essential to a reef tank. Fluctuations in temperature of only a few degrees every 24 hours creates environmental stress for your animals. The stress, while perhaps not deadly in and of itself, will, over time, make your animals more susceptible to disease and infestation. Instead of dumping money into expensive nitrate reactors or calcium reactors, most beginning reef aquarists would derive far more benefit by buying a chiller. Using a quality chiller in conjunction with a heater and a reliable controller will insure minimal temperature fluctuation in your aquarium.

Keeping Salinity Stable in a Tropical Marine Aquarium
In a reef or invertebrate tank, many of the animals are particularly sensitive to changes in salinity. Falling behind on topping-off your aquarium with freshwater can cause the salinity to increase gradually. While this usually does not present a huge problem, when you suddenly “catch-up” with tank maintenance, and replace five, ten or more gallons of freshwater all at once, the salinity drops back down to normal levels but much too quickly for many inverts. Investing in an automatic top-off system can make all the difference in terms of keeping your tank’s salinity stable.

Dealing with pH Fluctuations
A normal daily cycle of pH fluctuation occurs in most aquaria secondary to the lighting schedule. While this is not a disaster, in most cases, the savvy aquarist can easily stabilize this parameter by simply installing a refugium that runs on an alternate light cycle. Keeping the refugium lights on when the display tank’s lights are off will insure a more stable pH over an entire 24-hour period.

Install a Chiller, Automatic Top-Off and a Refugium Today!
New reef aquarists, like all aquarists, should focus first and foremost on the big three: temperature, salinity and pH. Investing in a chiller, an automatic top-off system and a refugium can go a long way to creating a stable reef environment that will quickly mature into a full-blown reef aquarium.

Isn't Mark Martin a Nascar driver?

Jonathan;372521 wrote: Isn't Mark Martin a Nascar driver?

He's also a project manager at Metalite Light Gauge Steel Roof Trusses and Roof Deck Systems, Inc. He's slow with submittals and doesn't like to return phone calls, but once his work is in the field things begin to go smoothly.

-Dustin

Back