For those with sumps in unheated garages...

rededge2k1

Supporting
Reaction score
I've been thinking more & more about relocating my sump to the garage directly below my living room so that I can expand and add a 4'x2'x1' frag tank to my system (currently ~140g total system volume).

I'm concerned with keeping the water temp up during the middle of winter here in Atlanta, when it sometimes dips below 10 or 15° (although rare and not for very long). I have a 1/4hp chiller for the summer months, so no big concern there.

I'm planning to have four 250w heaters on an ACJr along with a 400w halide over the frag tank that will come on when the display tank lights are off (display is 2x250w). Do you guys think that would be adequate to keep the water temp above 78° in the dead of winter, or would I still have problems? The garage is insulated on three walls, however the garage door (2 car widths) obviously isn't do much in the way of insulating the garage from the cold.

Does anyone here have a similar setup who can share their experience?

Thanks!
Dustin

I would think that the 4 250W heaters alone could do that... (depending on the water flow across them... )

the majority of your water volume will be in the display, and will stay in the house...

Rbredding;437443 wrote:
the majority of your water volume will be in the display, and will stay in the house...

Nah...my display is only 90g and would be the only component in a heated space. Everything else (60g frag tank, 40g sump, 20g fuge) would be in the unheated garage below. So it would be 90g heated, 120g unheated.

Dustin

yeah, but not heated usually means not cooled. I could see a major problem in the summer with heat

The problem would be the sudden drop in temp when the 16' door opens. I assume you use the garage? My sump is in my drive under basement but there is a wall between the garage door and the fish room.

grouper therapy;437456 wrote: The problem would be the sudden drop in temp when the 16' door opens. I assume you use the garage?

I don't use it, but the girl does. She opens the door to pull her car in/out twice per day on average, once before work and once after.

I gave my covered parking spot to fish tank crap.

Dustin

tgriffin;437455 wrote: yeah, but not heated usually means not cooled. I could see a major problem in the summer with heat

Sorry... I guess I didn't read the part where you had a chiller. I'm still wondering if it isn't gonna have to work overtime. I know my Garage gets HOT in the summer.

Could you close off an area around the tank and make a fish room on your side of the garage?

Smoothie;437560 wrote: Could you close off an area around the tank and make a fish room on your side of the garage?

If I did it would have to be temporary partition walls, because I live in a townhome and don't plan on staying here forever.

I'm thinking 2x4 frame walls (with studs 4' on center) covered with foam insulation board would do the trick....but it would look ugly as crap.

Dustin

Go 24 on center and use drywall which is cheaper than foam board probably and don't tape to the existing walls just an idea. Might look a little better

grouper therapy;437617 wrote: Go 24 on center and use drywall which is cheaper than foam board probably and don't tape to the existing walls just an idea. Might look a little better

For that purpose, there's no reason to space the studs any closer together than is needed to attach whatever sheathing goes over it...

True but it would be a little easier to insulate with some fiberglass insulation. What's a stud 3 bucks?

grouper therapy;437621 wrote: True but it would be a little easier to insulate with some fiberglass insulation. What's a stud 3 bucks?

3.27 + tax for the 2x4 8'

Just bought a plethora of them today...

what if you build a footlocker looking box and put the insulation foam on the inside of the box like a lining?

How about about building a box out of 2" thick foam insulation around the sump and frag tank. You could include a foam lid over the sump for those extra cold or hot periods. 2" foam is available at HD in 4' X 8' sheets and it is structurally sound enough to build a box with.

I helped my neighbor put a sump in the garage last year. What we did was build a table stand over the sump below, he then enclosed the sump with thick plastic sheathings. Never had much noticeable temperature fluctuation. I was concerned during the Summer that heat would over work the chiller but it didn't either. But then his garage was a 3 cars garage so there was much more space for the temperature to be affected by opening the garage door.

I think I'll just roll with it and see what happens. If I have trouble with the cold, I'll build temporary, movable partition walls around the tanks as suggested.

I had a great deal on a Barracuda pump lined up but I had to back out (my fault) so I still have a lot of planning and equipment buying to do. No rush, I'll keep you guys posted.

Dustin

I have this set up now. I have had some issues over the past few years, but now I think I have everything worked out. My garage is NOT insulated, so I have to get drastic sometimes. If the temp drops well below 30 for a few days, I have to put cover glass on the display, other than that, I have 3 250w heaters, on different timers. Two stay on all the time in the winter, one is on a timer with my fuge light that comes on in the evening and stays on till early am. I have a 120 with a 55 gal fuge and a normal sump setup. One heater in the sump, two in the fuge. My display tank is actually in the garage as well, cut into the wall for a wall tank.

It sounds like your display in inside, so you shouldn't need as much heat as I do.

LMK if I can help any more.

Here is a very old picture of when I first set it up...you get the idea.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
437890=21064-IMG_0138a.jpg
>
437890=21064-IMG_0138a.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0138a.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

you'll be fine... I bet after she gets home, the car heats the entire garage for the next couple hours... I know that ours does when my wife gets home..

I'd make sure the door got closed fully before leaving. One time of something hitting the photo eye and the door staying up all day will pay for a wall.

Back