Found this in my zoos last night.....

gordob

Market
Reaction score
I found this little guy in my zoanthids last night, and made sure I got him out right away. I think it's one of the zoanthid-eating nudibranchs, but I wanted to get confirmation of that. The fact that his spikes are the same color as the tentacles on that colony of zoos really makes me think he is one of those pests. Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

Also, if I had one in the tank, does that mean there are more? I didn't see any others in there, but I may have been looking in the wrong place.
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">Thanks,</span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">Brad</span>

Okay, apparently I'm not attaching the picture correctly. I'll have to try another route.

- Brad

GordoB;165826 wrote: Okay, apparently I'm not attaching the picture correctly. I'll have to try another route.

- Brad

thar she blows

(you owe me a burger 'n a beer)

:)

>

Oh, that brings back memories-- bad ones..

Looks like a Zoa eating nudi to me.. gonna have to dip those zoas... but someone else will have to tell you what to use ( I just dip in straight FW)

yup kill kill kill! FW dips and if search on the ARC for zoa eating nudis you will find several threads about them

ill kill one of those guys if i ever see one eating my zoas

Kill kill kill and keep an eye on it. it may takes weeks of killing to get them all!

Thanks everyone! Sounds good Linda. I owe you one. That's the only one I've seen, but I'll keep an eye out, and dip when I see 'em. Thankfully, I've already gotten that one out.

- Brad

look for the eggs - little white swirls. If you see eggs and your zoas are staying closed, then you have a challenge ahead. You can get through it - I did it myself.

Step 1- Decide if your prize zoa collection is worth keeping... seriously... I came so close many times to throwing everything out, but then I said "no I love my zoas, my little flowers of the ocean, and I will get through this"

Step 2- Isolate all your zoas to their own special tank and you will need this setup for about 2-3 months. Depends on how disciplined you are with your dipping depends on how long they need to stay in isolation. I didn't dip as often as I should have, so they kept coming back. But when I isolated for a 3 month period, then they were gone.

Step 3- So every week, do your FW dips. Take every zoa/rock that is in isolation and dip it for 5-10 minutes. I never adjusted my freshwater for PH, or temp. Its really hard to kill zoas. I think I lost one colony during this process, but I can't even remember what they looked like, so I'm not missing much.

Good luck to you!!! This was probably my most difficult challenge since I've been in the hobby. Its very frustrating, but once they are gone, its such a relief!! Also, do not trade zoas until you wait 2-3 months, maybe longer. I thought several times they were gone, but they were not. You can go 2 months and swear up and down they are gone, but one day, they are back.

Back