Frag, fuge, and sump.

chony

Market
Reaction score
dy2e3aba.jpg
alt="" />

stand too?
cool little setup. Can I get a few better pics? And is the frag tank drilled? Can't tell in the pic..

thx!

It's in DIY not dry goods and livestock. I think he was just showing his creation, not selling it????

Nice. I was going to take a stab at building an acrylic sump but couldn't find acrylic for a decent price. Seemed like it would cost as much as getting a decent pre made unit.

So was that scrap acrylic that you got for cheap/free or where did you get it?

1mbrews8;931170 wrote: ^ lol! yup, prob right :eek:)

Yes, the frag tank is drilled. I just set it up, so not for sale...at least not yet:roll:

Edit:
DawgFace;931179 wrote: No, not ideally on rimless glass tanks. Not sure on acrylic.

Thinking about adding additional support, maybe another 2x4...The tank is acrylic.

Edit:
RedStang;931214 wrote: Nice. I was going to take a stab at building an acrylic sump but couldn't find acrylic for a decent price. Seemed like it would cost as much as getting a decent pre made unit.

So was that scrap acrylic that you got for cheap/free or where did you get it?

Had it for awhile - had some left over from a previous project. It does seem to cost the same as buying a pre made sump.

Allen;931309 wrote: You need support under the entire acrylic tank. A sheet of 3/4 plywood with a piece of foam under would be the best bet.

I agree... not worth the risk. Looks like a nice set up though.

following... Is this all plumbed into the main display system?? talk more about the equipment you'll be running over there..

I wish! This is just in the home office. Reef breeder 32 photon and bubble mag 3 prt doser.

What is cool is that the top tank is clear and I will be going BB on that one so the refuge in the middle will be lit by the led's. Think the name for this project is Frankentank!!

Waiting awhile to put a door/sides on it till I'm confident it is working correctly.

Chony;931497 wrote: What is cool is that the top tank is clear and I will be going BB on that one so the refuge in the middle will be lit by the led's. Think the name for this project is Frankentank!!

that is definitely cool... are you running a skimmer or is the fuge meant to be your source of nutrient export??? are you doing a full fuge or just going to grow macro? will you be keeping any fish in this system?? since your going to be dosing it sounds like you'll be keeping some SPS frags on top of whatever else??

One idea what about drilling a hole for a bulkhead in one of the tanks and plumbing in a drain? Just to make for quick and easy water changes. The other thing is I think overtime it may become annoying to have to acclimate your frags from your display to your frag system.

I have been thinking through frag systems recently, and I came to two conclusions. In order to keep costs and equipment needs to a bare minimum, plumbing into my main display would prevent me from needing too much equipment aside from lights and powerheads, parameters would be same as display, and moving frags from display to frag system would be quick and easy.

My other idea was if I had a separate frag system would be to go for a zoa only grow out where the "new water" would be the water I take out of my display when performing water changes. Probably have some seeded matrix in the system and a miniature bioload (maybe pair of helfrichi's)just to keep the cycle going.. In this case I still wouldn't see too many issues moving the zoas from the display to the frag tank.

Yeah Adam, I am taking your advice on this one. Going to do everything you've advised so far. I just resealed the top tank with aqueon so I have some time to tinker. Thank you sir!!!

Chony;931868 wrote: Yeah Adam, I am taking your advice on this one. Going to do everything you've advised so far. I just resealed the top tank with aqueon so I have some time to tinker. Thank you sir!!!

another thing I thought of about your design... your are using the filtered light for your refugium.. I don't think that's going to work unless you are incredibly diligent at removing the coraline algae that is going to grow on the bottom acrylic of your frag tank... I have a simple 6.5K CFFL bulb in my fuge, and i've got coraline growing all over my sump and even on the tower of my skimmer... I highly doubt you are going to want to remove the frag rank to scrape the coraline as part of the maintenance schedule... Sound like you want this system to be as hands-off as possible... Maybe some PAR38 bulbs for the fuge or even a used MMBox.. would be dirt cheap and easy to modify the spectrum to put in a bunch of the 660nm red LEDs and have that fuge growing like crazy..

Back