Frag tank aio

kullas

Market
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to build a frag tank. My thoughts is using a 20L and build the aio. The tank is 30" if I take 6" off the end to add the aio that will still leave 24" of tank room. Questions are. Would it be ok to use the 20L or a different tank? Is the aio option ok for a frag tank or is there a better option?
Just in the planning stage so any thoughts or info would be very helpful.
I have also been looking at the 30b and the 40b.

I would recommend going with w 40b. You are welcome to come by and get some ideas from mine. I currently have an 80g & 60g AIO tanks set up. I have used the same design on 2.5g to 150g all in one tanks.

IMG_3422.JPGIMG_3418.JPGIMG_3416.JPGIMG_3417.JPG

Yes, oversized but squeezed in. Its a Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9410.

1583449889352.png

I would second the 40b suggestion. For the sake of stability I always like to have more water volume. Do you want it to be a true untility frag tank or a place to display your frags? In other words, are you going to build a frag rack with different levels or do some aquascaping with with live rock that you've drilled holes in? I ask because I had a 29L that I used strictly for a frag tank and there was a lot of unused space because the lights I had weren't super powerful and everything had to be toward the top. I put some live rock in underneath the frag racks but it still was very inefficient. I almost wish I had build a liverock structure and drilled a bunch of holes in it (like @bhodges82 did) and made it more of a frag display tank.

I would second the 40b suggestion. For the sake of stability I always like to have more water volume. Do you want it to be a true untility frag tank or a place to display your frags? In other words, are you going to build a frag rack with different levels or do some aquascaping with with live rock that you've drilled holes in? I ask because I had a 29L that I used strictly for a frag tank and there was a lot of unused space because the lights I had weren't super powerful and everything had to be toward the top. I put some live rock in underneath the frag racks but it still was very inefficient. I almost wish I had build a liverock structure and drilled a bunch of holes in it (like @bhodges82 did) and made it more of a frag display tank.
I'm thinking a true frag tank. A place to put frags and let them grow up a little. Bare bottom no real live rock maybe some rubble in a corner or some media for some bio filtration. I have a extra black box for lights. Basically a tank I can keep more coral than I can keep in my DT.

I’ve got a 40br that I plan on copying Dave’s setup with.
I was looking around for a 40 and some different options then I found the zoo med 50 gallon low boy. I think that is the way I'm going to go. I hope to be able to go see dball771 set up. Check it out and build a aio on the 50

Back