Fragging candy cane

olds350racer

Market
Reaction score
I have a colony of candy cane (about 80-100 heads) that I am considering fragging to promote further growth. The only coral I have fragged is pocillopora. Any advice before I start?

It is nothing to worry about... Just break off at the end of a branch... Needle nose pliers work well if you do not have any bone cutters.. Just grab ahold and twist.

That's my first response from the notorious "Brandon"... I feel honored. :) But seriously, thanks for the input. I thought it was a quick and easy, but as we all know... things are seldom as easy as you think. If there is one thing this hobby teaches you is "Rethink all actions, then research, then rethink again, then double check with people that know more than you." Thank again.

LOL First off, I am the only one that is up at this hour, so it is just luck of the draw. Second, how did I get notorious?!? ;)

;) Seriously, it is not bad at all... Heck I much rather frag a candy cane then a zoa any day! Good luck and let me know how it goes..

Yep, this is my "reef" time. No cell ringing. I get tired of explaining while on the phone "If you hear anything, it's just me pouring water." :) Anyways, who needs sleep when you've got reef? I'll let you know how it goes when I get the nerve. I'm a newbie and it's the largest coral it my tank... so there's a little paraniod guy on my shouler telling me to leave well enough alone. Once again, Thanks.

Last tip: It is personal preferance but I like to keep Candy Cane as a "ball". Cut it like a bonsi tree and only remove what would still make it look nice in the end.

LOL... do I need to start a thread "How to cut a bonsi tree?". Seriously though, are you saying to do it like zoos? Right now it is about the same size/shape of a half a cantalope. Are you saying to take a few heads in a way that leaves a few "holes" and let that grow back to fill in?

Just pick a good spot you want it to break and snap it off like you'd break one of those big size pretzels. The only part of the coral that's living is the tops of the polyps. If you want any more precision, any pair of pliers will do. Just grab firmly and twist the pliers.

I've fragged countless candy canes for the swaps this way. You pretty much can't kill this coral. The only ones I've ever had die were ones that fell behind rocks into the sand or RTN.

Back