Fragging Zoas is dangerous?

lilrobb

Market
Reaction score
Just read on another board that Zoas produce one of the strongest neuro toxins?
Can someone verify that?
I was always touching them and cut some with bare hands, is that bad?

Robb

they are toxic, but as long as you dont injest it, or get it in an open wound, your fine..its not cobra venom

a>

i got hit by a zoa once.. felt sick for like 5 minutes, no big deal?? maybe it wasn't a big dose or something but I didn't think it was a big deal

i can attest to that. I had a small cut on my finger. Touched one of my zoas and boom it swelled in hours. Its been 3 months and the skin on my finger is still hard and cracking from it. The skin is sensitive around that area too. Talk about an allergic reaction to the toxins it has.

sad part is i still dont wear gloves when touching them. Just dont have the feel for gloves.

On the zoa fourm at RC one guy lost his dog due to the toxins.

It's definitely nothing to be taken lightly. But as with anything from a reef tank, wash up afterwords.

THe toxins can cause paralyzation, so be careful. I am pretty immune to most of them, but there are some that have affected me. I still have one finger that will swell and itch like nobodies business from a zoa toxin-not cool.

I touched my eye after making contact with a zoo. It swelled shut, and area around eye turned red. Thought I was going to have to go to the hospital.

wow, i never knew it was that dangerous.

well mine have a while before they can be fragged so i should be ok for a while. what other corals are toxic like this?

Back