Fragging Zoas

tebriel

Market
Reaction score
Okay, so I just watched
watch

Thats pretty much the gest of it. Cut them off and glue them on I use rubber gloves though becuase they are poisoness. Mix and match whatever you want to do.

Also, you may want to wear some kind of eye protection. They are known to squirt when being fragged. I have heard it is extremely painful and can even cause blindness if it gets in the eyes.

oh yea, goggles, or just safety glasses at least. I do not use gloves as I think they make it much more difficult and have not had an issue, the squirts do not irritate my skin at least.

I am prone to hand wounds so small cuts and stuff might collect some nasty juices. Eye glasses are good though I try to cut off multiple polyps at one time if you have a good amount just take a knife and cut under them as stickx said.

yeah my colony is pretty huge hehe, so maybe i'll try to get a few at once

I was fragging some zoas a few months ago when one squirted into my eye. Surprisingly it didn't hurt but the eye swelled up a lil and turned red. It cleared up a few days later.

So some zoas are poisonous and some aren't or perhaps some are just less poisonous. There's only one way to find out though and its not fun :).

As for fragging them I like to place a small rock in the middle of the colony. They start to grow onto it and around it. Then you pull the rock off in a week or two and chop the rock up into frags.

So Jin, just drop a small piece of rock onto the top of them and they kinda just bud onto the rock, kinda like flipping a mushroom rock and laying it face down so that they'll spread quicker?

I've found the most difficult part is attaching the frags after you cut them from the mother colony. Jin's method is the best, but it won't make your mother colony smaller.

The easiest method is just to take a hammer to your mother colony rock, and pull apart the rock fragments...

We have never tried Jins method, but I have to say that I am quite intrigued and we have the perfect colony of teals to do experiment on. I think we will try it this week and see how fast it takes them to cover the piece of rubble. Thanks for the tip Jin!

Sometimes I use a wet saw or cutters depending on the rock and sometimes I scrape them off with a scalpel and throw them into a dish of rubble or just glue them directly to a plug.

When adding them to the tank, I like to glue a small frag piece in place, wait for them to attach and grow onto the rock and then pry the frag back out and put it into the frag tank. That way if something happens to either piece I have a source to replenish it.

Back