Fraudulent Coral Pictures

Ringo®;1035839 wrote: With all the photos above, If I was interested in buying any of them, I would ask the seller to text me a quick photo taken with a cellphone.

As for names, I think they help with identification. Let's say I walk into the LFS and ask for some zoas. I can ask for some green and yellowish ones with purple and orange in them. That could easily be a 30 minute conversation / search to find what I'm looking for. If I just say that I'm looking for rastas, they could probably point me right to them.

That's my stance on the name game. It should make it easier to get what you are looking for, and know exactly how it will look under similar conditions.

The "name game" and photo enhancements with regards to misrepresentation is nothing of the same.

One is simply an easier referenced, easier to remember nickname. For calling zoas, spacemonsters, green skirted sparkling center thingys or anything else dosent take anything away from what they really nor foes it deceive anyone outdide thinking they are rarer than they are. Which I'm not so sure anyone can truly answer rarity anyhow.

DawgFace;1035836 wrote: I always chuckled a bit about the name game as well. But that in and by itself is just ingenious marketing in which a name simply nets larger margins. I'm on board with that... Made me more than once rethink some of the products I offered within my own companies (nonreef related).

I also read an article not to long ago by Feldman which pits a very favorable spin on the name game. Interesting point of view there, not unusual coming from him. Really wish we could convince that man and that sponsor to spend a little time here. In any event I'll try to locate the article and link it if I can.

Suave shampoo compared to all the crap my daughters buy. Take a chemistry lesson. Soap is soap. How much do you want to pay for perfumes and senseless ingredients. Unless you require medicated the cheap stuff is as good as any. Of course if I had your money (and hair) I might look at it differently. Hehehehehe

rdnelson99;1035849 wrote: Suave shampoo compared to all the crap my daughters buy. Take a chemistry lesson. Soap is soap. How much do you want to pay for perfumes and senseless ingredients. Unless you require medicated the cheap stuff is as good as any. Of course if I had your money (and hair) I might look at it differently. Hehehehehe

Your missing out mang, what Evers in a Tea Tree shampoo and soap feels like a party!:party:

Nothing wierd mind you. Cause having parties in the shower is how I party

It sucks , I've been dooped a few times with gell filters and digitally enhanced images , just to hear my lighting must just be different .

Yes he is misrepresenting his corals with those pictures. He has been doing it so long the people who know dont care, and the people who dont soon will, but that is where we get the term "buyer beware"

The only thing anyone could possibly get him on is false advertising since it is the colors that are what sell most corals. But he could easily shut that down saying the colors you see depend on the lighting you have.

At the end of the day what he is doing is legal, and he is making money. Best thing you can do is be aware of it, make sure you dont fall for it and move on.

Its no different than people selling cheap crap on ebay. Order a knock off of something that costs $200 for $15 and you better expect it to be crap. Life is as fair as you let it be.

rdnelson99;1035849 wrote: Suave shampoo compared to all the crap my daughters buy. Take a chemistry lesson. Soap is soap. How much do you want to pay for perfumes and senseless ingredients. Unless you require medicated the cheap stuff is as good as any. Of course if I had your money (and hair) I might look at it differently. Hehehehehe

But seriously, I tried to find the article and couldnt. I'll try again later. To summarize though it talks about how the name game and rising prices caused a prolific propagation of corals across the nationwide reefing community that otherwise would not have existed. as removing the rarity did name the collection item remove the incentive to acquire the animal twenty five states away from one other.

now that I think about it might have been an article on Reef Builders

EnderG60;1035854 wrote: Yes he is misrepresenting his corals with those pictures. He has been doing it so long the people who know dont care, and the people who dont soon will, but that is where we get the term "buyer beware"

The only thing anyone could possibly get him on is false advertising since it is the colors that are what sell most corals. But he could easily shut that down saying the colors you see depend on the lighting you have.

At the end of the day what he is doing is legal, and he is making money. Best thing you can do is be aware of it, make sure you dont fall for it and move on.

Its no different than people selling cheap crap on ebay. Order a knock off of something that costs $200 for $15 and you better expect it to be crap. Life is as fair as you let it be.

Yea, I know unfortunately. Guess my point truly was two parts.

1. How are these people not ran out of town or forced out of business due to lack of sales? Repeat business can't be great! But I guess we are coming of a depression. Lots of new enters, new business, very little repeat.... which would mean long term success to be bleak. We'll see.

2. Make sure we keep standards around here. Cause speaking for only myself as only I can... I would not and could not remain if the society chose to accept actions like that. Which I already know would not be allowed in the current BOD thank gawd... years down the road who knows though.

Tbub1221;1035852 wrote: It sucks , I've been dooped a few times with gell filters and digitally enhanced images , just to hear my lighting must just be different .

Don't feel too bad I still do as well. Albeit not for crap like the pictures I posted here. I know when lipstick us on a pig...... and then repackaged and resold as a unicorn. But rather when do to my travel schedule I've been unable to run the LFS route to pick something up and I risk and have usually been left unsatisfied unless I stick with the few and far between online people.

DawgFace;1035858 wrote: But seriously, I tried to find the article and couldnt. I'll try again later. To summarize though it talks about how the name game and rising prices caused a prolific propagation of corals across the nationwide reefing community that otherwise would not have existed. as removing the rarity did name the collection item remove the incentive to acquire the animal twenty five states away from one other.

Sorry, this is kind of a mess.... I was driving. :eck:

I think the worst part is that when they ship and you place it in your tank, they can claim fading due to stress, lighting is garbage, or you didnt do water changes from the fukishima plant that ruptured.

I don't think naming corals is the problem being discussed here. No one cares about calling them Rastas or Purple Hornets or Utter Chaos. The problem is when you call them CB Rastas or CB Purple Hornets and triple the prices after 10 minutes of color manipulation.

Crew;1035887 wrote: I don't think naming corals is the problem being discussed here. No one cares about calling them Rastas or Purple Hornets or Utter Chaos. The problem is when you call them CB Rastas or CB Purple Hornets and triple the prices after 10 minutes of color manipulation.

I understand. But my point is that in my opinion, it matters not what it is called, where it came from or how many other people have it. What matters to me is does it look nice in my tank.

rdnelson99;1035902 wrote: I understand. But my point is that in my opinion, it matters not what it is called, where it came from or how many other people have it. What matters to me is does it look nice in my tank.

+1

name doesnt bug me either. call it Radioactive ARC Superzoids for all i care. The pictures can be disengenuous which is what i think the op is getting at.

rdnelson99;1035902 wrote: I understand. But my point is that in my opinion, it matters not what it is called, where it came from or how many other people have it. What matters to me is does it look nice in my tank.

You know **** well your coral is not hot like mine!

DawgFace;1035904 wrote: You know **** well your coral is not hot like mine!

So you admit you stole it all. LOL. And if it is so dang hot, maybe you need a chiller. I know an electrician who can wire it up for you. :)

DawgFace;1035863 wrote: Yea, I know unfortunately. Guess my point truly was two parts.

1. How are these people not ran out of town or forced out of business due to lack of sales? Repeat business can't be great! But I guess we are coming of a depression. Lots of new enters, new business, very little repeat.... which would mean long term success to be bleak. We'll see.

2. Make sure we keep standards around here. Cause speaking for only myself as only I can... I would not and could not remain if the society chose to accept actions like that. Which I already know would not be allowed in the current BOD thank gawd... years down the road who knows though.

This hobby like most is dominated by new entries. very few in the hobby last more than 2 years, so first timers can easily account for enough business to keep them going.

Secondly the standards around here arnt much better. While we dont blatantly photoshop our pics 90% of the for sale threads I see are blued out so much you dont have any idea what the actual coral looks like. And thats if the person even turns on the whites, most of them are taken under actinics only with a cell phone....which makes it look like Im having an acid trip.

Considering thats how most people post pics of corals, its easy to see how someone would accept the pics in question as real.

rdnelson99;1035909 wrote: So you admit you stole it all. LOL. And if it is so dang hot, maybe you need a chiller. I know an electrician who can wire it up for you. :)

Shoot! speaking of a chiller I almost forgot forgot that I purchased a chiller and need to pick it up.

Back