Free to good home - 4x36 inch T5 HO Actinic Blue 39 Watt - Brand New - Never used

Ok, now I think my tank looks too blue! B/c I only have one 36" bulb over my tank, I don't have any use for these. So unless anyone else needs them, I'm giving them all to Brandon.

Brandon, I'm planning on heading down to see Sammy tomorrow. Are you going to be around?

wbholwell;62857 wrote: Ok, now I think my tank looks too blue! B/c I only have one 36" bulb over my tank, I don't have any use for these. So unless anyone else needs them, I'm giving them all to Brandon.

Brandon, I'm planning on heading down to see Sammy tomorrow. Are you going to be around?

Ya I should be, what time you thinking?!?

Big D;62906 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Hmmm... I could really use them on my 180. :D </span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">2 of my 8 fixtures are 36 inchers and right now I'm running Geismann pure actinics (purple) in them and I would really like to try something a little bluer. Brandon, let me know if you don't need them.</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">David</span>

Trade you two of them for the Pure actinics you are running! ;)
They were a gift from Simon so if they are not going to work, you are free to have them straight out with no trade needed.

Xyzpdq0121;62995 wrote: Ya I should be, what time you thinking?!?

Well, how about Thursday, around 5:45? The **** cat is at the vet again, and I've got to pick her up before they close. BTW, I'm going to replace my 36" 6500k bulb with an aquablue plus. Would you (or anyone else) like the 6500K bulb? It has less than 4 months of use on it.

Again Sold I will try and see how a 6500K bulb looks.

Umm... Thursday works for me. I will PM you my number.

Big D;62906 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Hmmm... I could really use them on my 180. :D </span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">2 of my 8 fixtures are 36 inchers and right now I'm running Geismann pure actinics (purple) in them and I would really like to try something a little bluer. Brandon, let me know if you don't need them.</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">David</span>

Hey David,

You have got me thinking as i've just purchased the first 4x4ft T5 HO fixtures with Geismann Pure Actinics for my reef. I was going to purchase the other 4 shortly (I am wanting to go 4x400watt 10K HQI and 8x4ft T5 HO). I might go with a more bluer bulb. Does anyone have a 4ft Blue that I could test with for a day or so.

I run ozone so my water is very clear I want crisp color not a majorily blue filled color.

Your thoughts.

Simon, I could've brought you an old bulb. It came w/ my retro kit (I bought them used) so I'm not sure how much life is on the bulb, but it would've worked for your testing purpose. If you can wait 'till the meeting, I could bring it to you then.

Same here Simon, I have two new 48" bulbs waiting to go in my canopy on the 55 gal. One is a Actinic plus and one is a pure actinic, You can try them both to see the color difference.

You guys rock. Thanks much. The first set of 4x4ft Pure Actinics arrive today. I will pop them over my current reef which is at 900 watt 10K HQI. I'll turn off my current blue Actinics and turn on the new ones. I'm expecting it to be more purple.

Also a question for every one. Has anyone proved that they have over driven T5's. If so how did they prove it and what was their config.

I am hearing stories about over driving with IceCap ballasts. I want to know if this is possible and whats people experiences doing this.

Well, I am not a lighting guy by any means but I know overdriving can be done. Take my 36" t-5 setup that is fixing to go up. It will be running a advanced ballast made to run a 54W (48") bulb. In theory, should this overdrive the bulb? Yes. Have I proved it, No? I would have to get 3 new ballast that are made for 36" bulbs and use the Par meter to test the difference between the two.

Then again, I could be way in left field about the definition and effect of overdriving. That would not surprise me!

The Advanced ballast do not overdrive the T5's like the Icecap ballast do from what I have read on the subject.Do I know exactly why,well No but there are many posts over on RC about it. I was originally going to overdrive my lights on the 500 with Icecap 660's but I dont like the fact that it shortens the life of the bulb and my tank will only have softies and aggressive fish so the added light is just not needed.
BTW: I have two Icecap 660's NIB if you end up needing some Simon.I can probably save you a few bucks.I paid $120 shipped for each of them.

Xyzpdq0121;63119 wrote: Well, I am not a lighting guy by any means but I know overdriving can be done. Take my 36" t-5 setup that is fixing to go up. It will be running a advanced ballast made to run a 54W (48") bulb. In theory, should this overdrive the bulb? Yes. Have I proved it, No? I would have to get 3 new ballast that are made for 36" bulbs and use the Par meter to test the difference between the two.

Then again, I could be way in left field about the definition and effect of overdriving. That would not surprise me!

Let us know how this works,because typically running a ballast for a different length bulb should considerably shorten the life of the bulb,if it will even fire at all,unless the ballast you have has several lamp configurations? Im guessing your using the Electronic ballast that are multi volt?

46bfinga;63141 wrote: The Advanced ballast do not overdrive the T5's like the Icecap ballast do from what I have read on the subject.Do I know exactly why,well No but there are many posts over on RC about it. I was originally going to overdrive my lights on the 500 with Icecap 660's but I dont like the fact that it shortens the life of the bulb and my tank will only have softies and aggressive fish so the added light is just not needed.
BTW: I have two Icecap 660's NIB if you end up needing some Simon.I can probably save you a few bucks.I paid $120 shipped for each of them.

I'll take both if they can over drive. Can i get a deal on both? Jamie just call me. If you haven't got my number just call mfinch99 or PM me.

46bfinga;63145 wrote: Let us know how this works,because typically running a ballast for a different length bulb should considerably shorten the life of the bulb,if it will even fire at all,unless the ballast you have has several lamp configurations? Im guessing your using the Electronic ballast that are multi volt?

Cameron is running the same ballast on his 36" t-5s and has not reported any issues. Heck he did not even realize he was running a 54W Ballast till I pointed it out to him.

If i get these 660's I will test using a PAR meter. That way I will definitively prove they give off more power. I will also get a amp meter (watts used) and see if the draw is more. I'll keep all posted.

Simon, I've heard that active cooling also has an effect on T5 bulbs. When testing the PAR, be sure to let the bulb temp stabilize.

Maybe you could also test my first statement? Test the PAR at immeadiately after fire-up, then 20 min. later after the bulb heats up.

wbholwell;63171 wrote: Simon, I've heard that active cooling also has an effect on T5 bulbs. When testing the PAR, be sure to let the bulb temp stabilize.

Maybe you could also test my first statement? Test the PAR at immeadiately after fire-up, then 20 min. later after the bulb heats up.

I'm a scientist so I will perform conclusive test ;-) Step 1. I'll take your lead.

Hey simon, do you need me to bring over the teo t-5 bulbs so you can try different color combos? We are going rafting tomorrow and I got to head up your way. Let me know so I can pack them but I got to leave by 8:00am

Thanks Brandon. I left at 5am this morning to go and collect my new tank.

Give me a few weeks and I will take you up on the offer.

Thanks again.

Back