Friends, Enablers, & Hobby Addictions!!!

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
I am learning something very quickly in this hobby it is very addicting, you always want bigger, and your salt friends are your biggest enablers!!! I don't mean this in a bad way at all as Im actually laughing while typing this. I have been thinking about my next upgrade already, its funny because I said I would go big so I wouldn't have this problem! I have actually been speaking with my wife about my our next upgrade, which Im telling her in about two years! If I were to do most of the work including building out my fish room in our garage it could happen as soon as end of this year or next year. I would actually like to get the garage done first then start collecting equipment which wouldn't be much if I was to shut down my current tank. The sizes that Im thinking about right now would either be a 96*36*24 or a 84*36*24, which would sit beautifully in our formal dining room which would be converted to a fish viewing room! 96 inches would sit right in front of the window molding a bit. and the tank would be eurobraced on a metal skeleton stand. The lines of the garage are a 6*11 and a 8*11 fish room Which I think the 6ft would actually work. Please remember this is a year or two dream 20200101_180505.jpg20200101_180308.jpg20200101_205153.jpg20200101_205211.jpg20200101_205226.jpgplan also depending on our overall success with our current tank, yes I have officially become addicted with the hobby! And please remember this is a judgement free zone!!!:angery::p:p

I've been addicted for a long time, at least you know you have a problem.
Yeah, me knowing I have a problem doesn't make the wife any happier but at least I'm at home more!!!
/QUOTE]
Hello, my name is Adam and I'm a reef addict.Own the addiction and GO bigger with the fish room!
See what I mean about enablers Adam, you guys are no good!!! lol
/QUOTE]
Need to make sure you can get a frag tank and QT tank in the fish room. Might want a 10x11.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I would be pushing it going 10x11, then I would be cutting into her space. I could move my storage tanks to the other side of the garage, thaat would give me 2 additional feet in there.
I see you already have a mixing station, what size is it?
My mixing station is two 75 gallon tanks, with a 150gpd rodi

While my post was meant as a joke, I wasn't kidding.

With a tank the size that you're planning the equipment component size will go up too. Bigger skimmer, bigger UV, bigger sump, bigger...
My fish/sump room in my old house was around 7'x12' and it was tight in there. Two people couldn't stand side by side in the 7' width because of the equipment. It got the job done, don't get me wrong, but I'm a fairly big guy and it wasn't comfortable working in there just by myself. Granted the Display was an in wall so it was in there too but it'd still been cramped if that weren't the case. The 10x11 recommendation above isn't a bad idea.

Once you have the size of the room finalized start planning out the placement of things so maintenance will be the easiest. With your mixing station, I'd it them elevated some to let gravity do some of the work for you. I'd also move them and the RODI to the far wall to free up as much space on the long wall the staircase is on. Another good thing to do is go see other members fish room setups. Ask them what they'd have done different and learn from them. The easier you make things on yourself up front the better it will be in the long run.

While my post was meant as a joke, I wasn't kidding.

With a tank the size that you're planning the equipment component size will go up too. Bigger skimmer, bigger UV, bigger sump, bigger...
My fish/sump room in my old house was around 7'x12' and it was tight in there. Two people couldn't stand side by side in the 7' width because of the equipment. It got the job done, don't get me wrong, but I'm a fairly big guy and it wasn't comfortable working in there just by myself. Granted the Display was an in wall so it was in there too but it'd still been cramped if that weren't the case. The 10x11 recommendation above isn't a bad idea.

Once you have the size of the room finalized start planning out the placement of things so maintenance will be the easiest. With your mixing station, I'd it them elevated some to let gravity do some of the work for you. I'd also move them and the RODI to the far wall to free up as much space on the long wall the staircase is on. Another good thing to do is go see other members fish room setups. Ask them what they'd have done different and learn from them. The easier you make things on yourself up front the better it will be in the long run.

I remember your fish room, but I was hoping since my tank won't be an in wall that would save me about 2-3 feet. My thoughts right now are figuring about two feet for a sump even if I created my own with like a 120 gallon tank. That would be up against the wall where the tanks are now with a utility sink in the far right corner of the room when the walls are up, then maybe my frag tank right next to my sump below the stairs. Im not sure if I would get a much bigger frag tank honestly I'm not sure. I will include some more pictures, the outer tape is the 10ft mark. It still gives me plenty of room in the garage but may be a problem if I were to put my truck in there or if got the mrs. a suv. So I still have to map out all the equipment and see if i wold be able to make 8-9 feet work. I could probably make 10 work, but I just don't want to have it to cramped for her to get the boys in and out. I have the car pretty close to the other wall for this pick so its a bit deceiving. We have a second garage in the back, but no way she would park back there and walk she may kill me first!

Calling all members who all has a fish room that would like to share ideas and creativity!!! Thanks in advance. Thank you Adam, I always appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 20200102_153917.jpg
    20200102_153917.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200102_153713.jpg
    20200102_153713.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200102_153704.jpg
    20200102_153704.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
I am a recovering reef addict... So there is hope for us all. :) When I was young I did not go bigger but just started more and more. Now that I am older and in my life, actually have less time for it, if I wanted to stay in the hobby, had to go smaller. (20Long) But it is my dream tank, for my age and demands of my life. Beautiful, small, low maintainance...enjoyable. Cant wait to see it all happen for you! I love seeing everyones huge tanks and all the fish I can not put into a nano!

Back