Funny Observation...

billyocean

Supporting
Reaction score
*would not let me post in the lounge*

It's funny when trying to explain what it takes to set up a reef tank to non-reefers. It made me realize that each component of what I want to do took hours of research/reviews/comments on a single part of even the most simple of stages. Today, I found myself trying to describe to my in-laws what it has taken of my time and realized...hell..ive spent the last 6-7 years reading...the last 2 weeks (now that its really coming to fruition) spending upwards of 30-40 hrs of downtime (or uptime lol)..in 2 weeks. What made me realize this was just trying to describe a protein skimmer and thinking to myself..WOW..that was 5 minutes of talking and hrs of research/reviews read...and that was just the protein skimmer...much less parameters/fuge/lighting/reactors/plumbing/species/sand or bb/blah blah blah..I dont even have my acrylic tank scratch free yet...guess im already crazy..haha.

BTW..read the thread about what people would do if they could start from scratch.."what they would do diff"

The bigger stand idea stood out to me..I am in the situation to make a bigger stand at this point..but how would you fill the empty space? my tank is 60 18 21 with a stand now to match..was thinking perhaps a few inches on every side would provide a good bit more space..but what would you do with the extra shelf space?

A bar. :)

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

seriously though...it didnt strike me until later...what would you do with the extra space around the tank with a bigger stand footprint?

Just wait until you get it set up, get your first livestock, your first corals, and you are so bursting with pride. Then your in-laws or friends come over, look at it, and say "that is great" and walk away. You wIll be like "NEAT?!?! You know how many hours this took? NEAT?!?" Lol

As far As the stand, think about what you might want in there (topoff water, external skimmer collection cup, reactor, cooling fan). Then measure it out with your sump. I personally make my stands higher for viewing. Then I put an electronics shelf above it all to hold my ato, water alarms, power strips, etc... just plan it all out. Maybe drive and see other tanks for ideas.

Xyzpdq0121;942916 wrote: Just wait until you get it set up, get your first livestock, your first corals, and you are so bursting with pride. Then your in-laws or friends come over, look at it, and say "that is great" and walk away. You wIll be like "NEAT?!?! You know how many hours this took? NEAT?!?" Lol

So true!!!

Back