Geeky help needed: will this shelf hold a 20g?

Put me second in line for the 15G! I really like these long and shallow tanks.

Anyway, I found my solution in this thread: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/27772-high-rise-aquascape-3-tank-rack.html">http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/27772-high-rise-aquascape-3-tank-rack.html</a>

Basically, he got a commercial grade wire rack that exactly looks like mine but is a lil bigger and has 500 lbs shelf capacity. He reinforced it with 2x4 plywood. To borrow his ideas, I will get a tall one just like his and put my tank on the second shelf and hang the 20" MH from the top shelf like a pendent to reduce heat. What a perfect solution - it kills several birds with one stone.

PS: The reason I stick to the open shelf design is because... I like the open air feeling of it. The stand and canopy combo never appeals to me. I don't have any close door cabinets/shelves in my house except for the kitchen for the same reason.

By the way, this is how much of a geek I am:

I was running out the door when I posted so I gave the cursory answer. I thought about it while I was at a bar with friends only to come up with similar answers as has been posted. More specifically, what I realized was that all of the stress on the stand is around the perimeter of the tank (the contact points) where the welds are. This will be the place where it fails. If you can move the stress away from the welds then it will hold more than 250. In other words place a piece of 0.50" plywood to fit across the shelf but make sure that it sits on the perimeter where the welds are. That way you distribute the load evenly throughout the shelf and do not create pressure points at the likely fail points.

I say all of this to reiterate previous posts and hopefully to reinforce their thoughts.

I am not sure that is accurate at least to the point of shifting away from the welds. I think the wire shelf is eventually going to sag under the weight and likely put additional stress on one side or another. That will likely begin to warp the frame and eventually cause a structural failure.

Also, those weight limits on these are usually for distributing the weight between shelves not all the weight on one shelf. If you got a shelf twice as big, it would probably have twice the weight limit but each shelf would still likely be rated at 75lbs or something. Iron or aluminum just isn't a good medium to hold 170lbs plus over time. Steel is really the only way to go and it needs to be VERY well built.

I thought I would most this. At walmart they have a stand for a 29 gallon. But a 29 and a 20 long have the same foot print. Its a steel stand so its open air. I think its under 30 bucks. I had a 29 with live rock and a few fish that I bought off someone and the stand was rock solid. That 29 is actually at a friend's house that is holding 50 pounds of live rock so you will be fine.

Yes, for long term stability and peace of mind, the wire rack is probably not the correct solution.

Which Walmart is that? The 2 Walmarts closest to me don't have stands in that footprint.

Hummmmmmm. I thought it was at all walmarts I'm in Dalton so its a bit far for you. did they not have a 29 gallon stand? I know they sell the 29 gallon kit or they use to so I thought it was the stand. I'll have to check tonight. I know the stand that I'm thinking of can hold some smaller tanks too. Let me check. I'll get back to you on that.

Thanks, Billy. On a side note, I found these steel shelfings on staple.com. 480 lbs/shelf capacity, made of steel and some wood board, no wire/welding. And free delivery to my door:

StaplesProductDisplay

I still haven't been to Walmart. But if you get those shelves, I would suggest replacing the particle board with 3/4 ply. Trust me I'm Asian and I know my math.

Particle Board + Water = BAD

Billy, thanks for suggesting that to me. But I think I have a better choice now: steel shelving for $44, I think my search is over.
viewproduct.asp

That is defiantly going to work. A little bit of overkill but heck. Its like using a 12 gauge to go squirrel hunting, but more useful.

I wondering how much the shipping is that bad boy is 61 pounds.

Thank god that warehouse is here in Stockbridge, GA, only 20 minutes drive from downtown Atlanta. I almost took my lunch break to pick that thing up, but I guess I can wait.

I wouldn't put anything on that stand. I don't care what it says. Nothing beats Georgia Pine for strength. Build something. Thats the fun part.

I am talking about the first one in the post.

I would vote steel, oak or any of the hardwoods pretty much over pine, but pine will work.

I'm a lil offended at the call of the question, but I will embrace my geekdom and give you my advice.

I think you should go with a balsa wood stand. It would be super light and be easy to move around. Also it would be extremely flexible so it would bend instead of break with heavy winds. J/K, It looks like you figured it all out on your own :p. I'm not a fan of the wire rack stand since I need a place to hide all the tank's components, but to each his own! Good looking nano though!

Back