Generator Time

chemaholic

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Well it finally happened. Power kicked out about 20 mins ago. Since I was not smart enough to prepare ahead of time I am having to buy a generator on short notice. I would have liked to be able to select the very best one for my purposes, but now I have to take what they have in the store.

Just hoping they will get it fixed soon. Power line fell across the road and not a small line either. Thank goodness I just got a chiller.

Unfortunately it is too late but Costco has two generators on sale. If you have a power inverter for your car it can help in a pinch. Keep some sealed water bottles in the freezer for cooling tanks during the summer without a/c.

Yeah shame on me for not being prepared. I do have plenty of fuel in cans though. I am a bit of a prepper I just had not gotten around to the generator. I really wanted one big enough to run the AC or at least the heat pump. I have plenty of frozen food I can float in the sump to cool things down. I also have a 1/10 hp chiller now too. Hope you guys are all doing well. I feel like I am camping out.

Power back on. All my babies are safe now. Thank you GA Power! Tree fell on a line that feeds the entire street my subdivision is off of. Almost had us trapped because the road dead ends on one end and all the subs branch off of it. One way in and one way out. Luckily it fell far enough up the road that you could cut through the very first subdivision and make it over to an adjacent main road. If not for that this would have possible been way worse.

Thank you to the people who built my house and insulated it well. Tanks increased in temp by less than 1 degree F. I was hot as balls, but they stayed pretty stable. Thank goodness water has such a high specific heat. Anyway going to bed now.

fwiw,
I have a ‘DIY’ thread on a direct battery backup, in case you use either 12 or 24 VDC pumps?

Glad you got power back on though!

fwiw,
I have a ‘DIY’ thread on a direct battery backup, in case you use either 12 or 24 VDC pumps?

Glad you got power back on though!
I rigged up some stuff off my car battery to keep a 20g reef going during the floods in '09?, good times. Generators are great to have, we keep looking at whole home ones but havent pulled a trigger yet.

I have a simple inverter to use for my car in a pinch, to keep basic powerheads going. I have a 1000 watt propane generator that is not enough to power my whole system but keeps most things going.

Back