Getting a calcium reactor!!

Dosed alk up to8.01 last night, tested at 6.93 today, dropped 1.08 dkh.

I have been trying to tune the co2 regulator to achieve the 6.8-6.9 ph, I think I have it close to 1 bubble per second, it took a long time to get down to the desired ph and I’m still not sure of how it is maintaining.

I was suggested to test the effluent, what would be a good test value here?

Side note: I can’t believe “the fish store” doesn’t have ph calibration solution, wth....frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is a good suggested output pressure should the regulator be set at? I have it at around 20psi, but the needle valve is so sensitive. I was thinking that if I lower the pressure I can open the valve more, will it be less sensitive that way?

How were you maintaining the alk and cal before and why did you stop?

The pressure should be 10 to 12. The bubble count should be 60-80 per min. But the reactor isn't going to bring the levels back up by itself. You need to get it there and maintain it 1st then as you dial in the reactor you need to raise the alk & cal back up manually as you adjust the ph in the reactor.

Two part was my method of maintaining levels. I am always running out, 1 gallon containers just don’t last long and I need a more stable water chemistry because I want a lot more sps. I am looking forward to the trace elements being added with the calcium reactor.

I understand that I have to adjust the levels manually. Before, I was understanding that I was supposed to let my levels drop for three days without touching anything. I made the decision last night to make a manual adjustment just to keep things alive. It seems as if my alk drops approx 1.1dkh/day.

The reason I was trying to “pre tune” the reactor is so that it will be set for when I’m ready for it to be on. I’m kinda testing it out at the moment...

I just tested effluent, 15.79 dkh cal 475 @ 6.83 ph inside reactor. Turning off the solenoid until ready....looks like it’s working though.

You demand is pretty high and that drop is too much. I reread what I posted and was mistaken when I said stop all dosing. I should have specified that after the 24hr test you dose them back up then test again in 24hrs. I apologize for not covering that correctly.
Seeing as you've confirmed a +1dkh drop a day restart the dosing and get the parameters back up to alk 9~9.5dkh and cal 425~450.

Once the parameters are where you want them pick a time of the day you will be able to test at the same time for several days. A half hour before you set time start the co2. This will give the reactor time to get the ph down. A half hr later at your time time turn off the dosing. Now follow these steps per Acroholic:

6. Let the controller run like this at these settings for 24 hours. After 24 hours, test your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels again. If they are close to your initial levels, wait another 24 hours and test the next day. If you find your levels dropping or rising, refer to 7 below.

7. What control parameters to adjust:
(You using a peristaltic pump so you can disregard this part.)
a. I have found for the past three years that an effluent rate of 50-60 ml/minute and a bubble count of 60-90 bpm (bubbles per minute) is perfectly fine and these two parameters do not need adjusting. If your CO2 Bubble Rate is near 90 bpm, make sure you are not overpowering the reactor's ability to absorb all the CO2 you are feeding it. You are using too much CO2 if you see gas collecting at the top of the reactor. Adjust it down to the middle or lower end of the bpm range if you see this. Calcium reactor output can change over time due to the effluent out line getting clogged or calcium carbonate or salt collecting inside or at the tip of the effluent out tubing. I have to adjust mine back to a fast drip every few days. Bubble counts stay pretty steady and do not need adjusting after you are dialed in.

b. The easiest way to adjust a calcium reactor for more calcium, alkalinity and magnesium in the effluent is to change the controller setpoint pH setting. I have just found it easier to keep the bubble rate and the effluent rate constant and adjust the controller setpoint up or down as needed. If you need to raise your levels a bit, lower your controller setpoint by .5-.1 units of pH and test for a few days. The lower the setpoint, the more CO2 gas will go in, dissolving more media, and releasing more calcium, alkalinity and magnesium into the tank. If you see your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels rising, raise your pH controller setpoint up a bit until you see consistent test results for a few days. This decreases the amount of CO2 entering the reactor, and lessens the amount of media being dissolved.

c. The end objective is to get several days of constant readings without much drift up or down. When this is achieved, you can readjust the tank water calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels to what you want with additives, and the reactor should maintain those levels for you. You want the reactor to release calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium at the same rate it is used up in the reef tank.

8. Your calcium reactor is now initially dialed in. Regardless of what method you use, regular testing for Ca, KH and mag is needed, every 1-2 weeks. After you get some experience using the reactor, you may increase this testing interval to your own comfort level.

c68d010b66809145a14c689fc5576f1a.jpg

So I’m thinking my NEW ph probe from BRS is no good, I can move the wire and it’ll hit a ph of 3. I have to send it back and have them test it before they will send a new one.

Been running the calcium reactor for a few days now, seems to maintain a good alk level with the tank, but the ph probe is so erratic that the solenoid goes on and off every 25 seconds or so. It’s not been properly tested as of yet. I have taken my other ph probe and put it on the reactor while I’m sending the new one back as my tank ph ranges from 8.2-8-3 consistently.

Been some struggles to get this whole thing working.

45a7f2a5a0369035d6883a0feffe1382.jpg

Changed out the ph probe last night, reading is much more consistent. I should be able to do a proper water chemistry test now.

Yea, that looks better. I keep a backup probe on hand for the reactor.
Maybe just ordering another and to use for the you carx is a good idea. Then if BRS swaps out the bad one you can keep it as a backup.

Back