GFO and Carbon Maint

I normally change my GFO every month. Unless you are testing, I think the best you can do is watch your nuisance algea's and see if they are growing more then you like.

If you guys are changing monthly, then I'm doing pretty good.

I think you need to change carbon more often than GFO. This may be old wives tales, but I thought carbon got plugged up with gunk and organics quickly, thus the shorter time interval for changing. I change carbon out at 2 week intervals and I change GFO out at monthly intervals.
Dave

Acroholic;512717 wrote: If you guys are changing monthly, then I'm doing pretty good.

I think you need to change carbon more often than GFO. This may be old wives tales, but I thought carbon got plugged up with gunk and organics quickly, thus the shorter time interval for changing. I change carbon out at 2 week intervals and I change GFO out at monthly intervals.
Dave

I'm with you on this Dave. Whether the GAC gets used up or not, it certainly gets colonized by bacteria quickly. When used, I change it about 10 days out.

Amberjack;523098 wrote: Alot of reef keepers run carbon and alot of other media in an old cannister filter. </em>

That's where mine is running, works fine</em>

+1 (old Eheims never give out, they just change functions ;)

Back