Given Phyto Farm'n a try..

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Just started my first 2 batches of Phyto last night. I used some cultures I picked up from George at the last meeting. Hopefully with the excellent help from Melv's site and doing some other research I'll be able to grow Phyto to feed the corals. Wish me luck!

I also picked up Brian's 3 foot sump that has a DSB with 3-4 different types of Macro algae. I am hoping to seperate each and try to grow them too. My wife thought I was crazy buying Miracle Grow liquid plant food for the tanks. But then she realized she needed some anyways for the flowers by the mailbox so all is well!

Post some pics of the phyto setup...do you just have the containers in a closet with light?

I'll take some pictures tonight. I have it in my cabinet underneath my frag tank with a 6500K light. I am currently keeping the doors open I don't want the temps to get above 80 degrees. Hopefully in about 2 weeks I'll have some dark green water full of phyto!

Ya I need to start my culture too... I am worried because the Phyto has been in the frige from George and I am wondering if it is still good!

I used Goerges and it should be fine. I read several articles about people that has cultures in thier fridges for months and still used them successfully to start thier own phyto farm!

Very cool man. Let us know how it works for ya. I am going to try it my self in a few weeks. I also like the idea of growing macro algae. Just one more step to becoming an obsessive reefer. LOL.

It should still be ok, unless you've let it settle for too many days. The cultures I started them with were only the equivalent of about 2 tablespoons of that stuff and I'm sure there's that much live in there still.

Yep...I used the whole bottle you gave me George. I shook it aily to make sure it didn't settle and smother the algae. Thanks again for the Phyto and if you ever need anything, let me know!

Picture of the Phyto Farm. Just basic right now but after looking at Florida Aqua Farms site I have pplenty of ideas for some Phyto farming set-ups! First batch should be at it's most nutritious on Weds!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
62230=4171-IMG_2882.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
62230=4171-IMG_2882.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2882.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looking good Mark.

Your setup highlights the fact that you can grow phyto in just about any food-safe container you can dig up that's transparent.

George;62255 wrote: Looking good Mark.

Your setup highlights the fact that you can grow phyto in just about any food-safe container you can dig up that's transparent.

Yeah..the gatorade bottle were the only containers I had laying around. I might go with the bag idea that FAF uses. Sure will save on time and trouble of sanitizing containers. I am going to design a Phyto station this weekend.

do you just have the containers in a closet with light?----- Balagan

Dude, what have you been growing in the past?

We call that hyponics.....DEA find them by their power bill! Wow...I'd better check mine..those MHs watts add up!

Havested the first batch last night. I now have 1.5 liters of home grown phyto and seeded another 2 liters that will be ready to harvest in 6-9 days.

Dakota...I need to produce a lot more that 1.5 liters every 6-9 days to be able to sell any of the phyto. I am working on a phyto grow station using a 70W MH light I have laying around. I am hoping that with the increased light will help with the growth rate of the phyto. Experiment #1 hopefully won't crash my phyto stock.

True!

But nice to know you have a market for your new venture, yes?

Back