Glass Cages

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Ok so give me the facts about glass cages tanks. I would like only first hand experience, or a link to a tread about them. I have heard rumors about them but not i want hard facts. The tank i want built is 30in long, 22tall, and 20 inches deep. Please help me with this!

Thanks
Colin

I have GC's 180. I got a deal on it when Poseidon's closed. I have had no issues. Holds water, silicone job looks good. Never had to deal with their customer service.

Customer service is actually good, and tanks seem to be worth the money.... Problem lies in having it delivered. Its a nightmare. Plan to go pick it up when it's finished and you'll avoid all that!

Yeah i plan to pick it up! And if something is wrong I can refuse delivery! This place has the best price ever over at least $300 dollars less then everyone else!

Ours had some leak issues with the silicone when we first got it. After we repaired the affected silicone (3 different spots) it has been great.

MrsMojo;315769 wrote: Ours had some leak issues with the silicone when we first got it. After we repaired the affected silicone (3 different spots) it has been great.

Mrs. Mojo, were the leaks easy to repair? did ya'll do it your self or have them? and what size is the tank?

Chris was able to repair the leaks himself. He scraped off the existing silicone and then replaced it - twice. The tank leaked on our first water test ,we thought we had identified the only leaks but when we retested we found a second so got to start over. So not to hard to deal with. My tank is a 300 gal that we got "used" thru SWC (but it had never had water in it so not really used).

Having to repair a NEW tank is not okay in my book. If you bought a new tv and had to immediately repair it (at your expense), would you be okay with that?

Tim (MRC) had a large GC tank...the front fell off!

Have you ever heard anything like that about an oceanic/marineland/etc?

Colin, I thought you were going with our Ocea? My tank has proven to be excellent in the three weeks I've had it. Granted, not much time...but it's held water and the front hasn't fallen off! :)

brand new 120 gallon glass cages being parted out for arc members baffles . This tanks bottom cracked first night with water! Not my tank.
I tried to buy a custom cube from glasscages. They were a little hesitate about the size and the stand it would sit on. So i submmitted an engineered drawing for the stand and waited on a response for a week, none came, I then called and was treated as if i had asked for their firstborn. I was talked to rudely and unprofessionally as I think I have ever been talked to. I asked to speak to the owner and was told by a lady there and I qoute (He does not want to build your tank) . I then asked why,response and I qoute ( I said he does not want to build your tank!) After the way I was treated they could give me a tank and I would bury it and connect a sewer line to it. Sorry I get a little worked up when I try to spend my money with someone and they act like they are doing me a favor!:mad2: :mad2:

>

grouper therapy;315879 wrote: brand new 120 gallon glass cages being parted out for arc members baffles . This tanks bottom cracked first night with water! Not my tank.
I tried to buy a custom cube from glasscages. They were a little hesitate about the size and the stand it would sit on. So i submmitted an engineered drawing for the stand and waited on a response for a week, none came, I then called and was treated as if i had asked for their firstborn. I was talked to rudely and unprofessionally as I think I have ever been talked to. I asked to speak to the owner and was told by a lady there and I qoute (He does not want to build your tank) . I then asked why,response and I qoute ( I said he does not want to build your tank!) After the way I was treated they could give me a tank and I would bury it and connect a sewer line to it. Sorry I get a little worked up when I try to spend my money with someone and they act like they are doing me a favor!:mad2: :mad2:

You hear things like this all the time, yet they sell more tanks than ANYONE.

Skriz;315910 wrote: You hear things like this all the time, yet they sell more tanks than ANYONE.

I think I know why. I work in retail (not fish-related), and I have learned one truth... 99% of consumers only want great customer service if it's free. People will complain loudly about the rotten service at the "cheapest place around", but next time they need to buy something they line right back up.
I wish I understood that mentality. I'll spend more to do business locally, and I really hate to mail order stuff out of principle. I would only buy from eBay in a dire emergency.

the way i see it is this: if some of their tanks are good, and some are bad, the whatever the costs saving is isnt worth the flood I MAY have.

Id rather save and spend the extra money on a quality assured tank from a reputable builder. Its like insurance, you dont need it necessarily but you get it to cover your *** just in case. Paying the extra money on the better tank is like insurance.

Think about the headache of 100 gallons of SW all over your floor. God, I wouldnt even come close to risking it!!

I too have worked retail in the past. I do not want to mention their name but they are the largest in the world. Most horrible company I have ever worked for (6 1/2 years) People would complain about them constantly but still shop there. I try not to patronnize them but still find myself there once in awhile. Try to do to BJs or Target. My wife and I try to go local and support LFS as much as possible. I have bought off of ebay when the skimmer I wanted was $269 at LFS and I got the same one on ebay for $150, no tax and free shipping. Sometimes it's just a matter of economics. I'll pay a little more from LFS but not $100+ that's just not smart. I will end up spending the money I save at LFS though on live stuff.

I think i'm correct in saying that glasscages is a small family business, that being said you would think the customer service would be better or at the least the attitudes of the people you talk with. I try to be a fair person when i am not treated very nice by someone, we all have our bad days personal problems , everday stress of trying to provide, stomach ache if nothing else. But to be treated that way at 3 different times, I start judgement.
don't want to shift here so i'll shutup.
I think mockery ask for facts and my qoutes of the people are factual and the busted tank. The rest are my opinions.

grouper therapy;315994 wrote: I think i'm correct in saying that glasscages is a small family business, that being said you would think the customer service would be better or at the least the attitudes of the people you talk with. I try to be a fair person when i am not treated very nice by someone, we all have our bad days personal problems , everday stress of trying to provide, stomach ache if nothing else. But to be treated that way at 3 different times, I start judgement.
don't want to shift here so i'll shutup.
I think mockery ask for facts and my qoutes of the people are factual and the busted tank. The rest are my opinions.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a terrible experence with them. When I called I received very professional attention, and even when I cancelled my order due to the delivery driver's error, they were still kind and professional.

I'm in customer service myself and I know sometimes you get off on the wrong foot with someone, and there's no going back, in which case, you end the relationship, conversation and transaction immediately. Granted, this is an extreamly rare situation that this would occure, but all the same, sorry you had that experience.

I guess I described things wrong. I did not even get to the service part. They expressed that they did not want to do business with me. I worked as a field operations manager for a large building materials supplier and delt with frustrated and sometimes angry builders or superintendents so I know what your talking about with some customers. No offense (ramone or rededge) It could be that your positive experience was a rare thing? haha
I take voicing a negative statement about one's way of providing for their family very very serious!!
The only time I do so is after careful review and my (limited) thinking on the situation to draw my final conclusion.

Seems like the glass cages experience gets discussed about once a month with opinions on both sides.

Back