Glass dividers for sump

super

Market
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting your glass dividers for sump creation? I have tried Lowes and Home Depot but all they carry in my area are the thin pieces (2mm)

Chris S;864621 wrote: I used a local glass shop. Call around the prices can vary.

Thanks, I can't seem to find any places like that around here. Guess ill look harder :)

Look up windshields. Most windshield places cut glass too. If all else fails Cardens glass is in Tyrone. They do good work. Just probably not close to you.

are you dead set on glass or would you consider acrylic? ive used it a few times to build sumps and it works great and hd and lowes both carry a few diffrent thicknesses and you can cut it yourself

Picoreefguy;864710 wrote: are you dead set on glass or would you consider acrylic? ive used it a few times to build sumps and it works great and hd and lowes both carry a few diffrent thicknesses and you can cut it yourself

Well I wanted glass but after calling the few places I can find... I would just be happy with anything at this point. The quotes I got ranged from $75 to $152 for 4 pieces of glass and at least a week out.

I'll have to call HD and Lowes to make sure what thicknesses they have.

Super;864712 wrote: Well I wanted glass but after calling the few places I can find... I would just be happy with anything at this point. The quotes I got ranged from $75 to $152 for 4 pieces of glass and at least a week out.

I'll have to call HD and Lowes to make sure what thicknesses they have.

My goodness, Man. My local glass shop here in Montgomery, AL did mine for free. Ask them if they have any scrap glass laying around that they can use instead of cutting a brand new pane for you. Just make sure you clean it well...

CedzAquAddiction;864733 wrote: My goodness, Man. My local glass shop here in Montgomery, AL did mine for free. Ask them if they have any scrap glass laying around that they can use instead of cutting a brand new pane for you. Just make sure you clean it well...

Guess that's the difference between the big city... Heck I could drive to Alabama cheaper then getting it here :)

and thats where the acrylic shines although you would have to cut it yourself (lowes and hd offer cutting but the quality of the cut isnt that great because its scored and broken instead of cut with a saw). a 2x4 sheet of acrylic at lowes was around 65 bucks which, depending on the size of the tank youre using, can do 2 maybe 3 sumps.

Picoreefguy;864754 wrote: and thats where the acrylic shines although you would have to cut it yourself (lowes and hd offer cutting but the quality of the cut isnt that great because its scored and broken instead of cut with a saw). a 2x4 sheet of acrylic at lowes was around 65 bucks which depending on the size of the tank youre using can do 2 sumps.

Yeah I have called both places and Lowes was the best. Chances are I'll end up going that route since its my only real option.

I'm kind of being impatient as well since the 180 gets here Friday :)

i dont blame ya id want to get it done too. if you need any advice on building the sump let me know. id offer to come and actually help but i live 100 miles from atl

Picoreefguy;864758 wrote: i dont blame ya id want to get it done too. if you need any advice on building the sump let me know. id offer to come and actually help but i live 100 miles from atl

haha, thanks... I think I have the design the way I want it. Is really a simple design since I'm runnning bio-pellets and won't need a refugium. To sock or not to sock is the only looming question.

i would use a sock itll help cut back on detritus build up in the sump. you're gonna get detritus no matter what but the filter sock will greatly reduce the amount that will build up and it helps keep your water clearer. but you have to stay on top of changing and cleaning them or they end up becoming nitrate factories

Picoreefguy;864761 wrote: i would use a sock itll help cut back on detritus build up in the sump. you're gonna get detritus no matter what but the filter sock will greatly reduce the amount that will build up and it helps keep your water clearer. but you have to stay on top of changing and cleaning them or they end up becoming nitrate factories

Yeah I have been using them on the current tank and honestly the only issue I have is where to store the dirty ones until there are enough to run the washer.

just keep a one gallon bucket around. i use the ones seachem makes for things like matrix carbon and stuff like that. they're small enough to fit in the stand but will still hold quite a few socks

Well that's what I've been doing... but if I put a lid on it, then they get mold... but they stink if I don't cover them.

and also make sure theres no water in the bucket before you put the first one in. otherwise youll still get mold

How long do you normally leave it out before putting the sock in the bucket?

Back