Glass scratch removal

smallblock

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have experiance removing scratches from glass? I've seen a couple of kits online for like 50 bucks. Just wanna know if anyone has done it and what kit is liked the most

I've always heard the same. I've also talked to a couple glass companies and the outcome was the same, its almost impossible without the risk of "hazing" and i dont know about y'all but I'd rather have a scratch than a blurry spot. If you do find anything that works do tell
Mike

Agree with both opinions Ive done it a few times at my store and normally it turns out looking worse not better. If its so deep that it really destroys the tanks appearence try trading tanks or something.
What size tank are you repairing that $50 dollars for the kit cant just goto a "new"used tank with no scratches?

72 gal bowfront I got it used from a guy, It had calcium or something all over it, When i finally got that off I set it on the stand by a window and saw the front was really scratched, and no i didnt do any scraping on the front it was clean. All the crap was on the back and sides

Cerium oxide will do it. But, I will take forever and a lot of work. You're better off going to work for those hours and just buying a new tank.

I've tried it and it works, but totally not worth it. I never completely removed the scratches; too much work involved.

yes you can do it, no its not worth it.

Only "good" way ive seen is to fill the scratches with certain kinds of silicon(has the same refractive index as glass) although I forget which kinds.

Ive seen it applied with a razor blade and it came out pretty good.

AAAAAiftr0AAAAAAAOSgsQ.jpg
alt="" />

Kidding, of course...

You'll probbly find they are not as glaring when the tank has water in it. IME an empty tank shows scratches much more than one that is filled.
Dave

I've done it on aircraft windshields using Micro Mesh. It takes a lot of time and effort but it does work. Heres a link:

2004014.aspx

Back