Glass tank repair question

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
I bought a used 40 gallon breeder and when I got home I noticed a small crack in the corner of the floor plate of the glass. The silicone is fairly dry rotted in places so I was going to seal the whole tank again anyways. Can I just lay a small 3" x 3" plate of glass over the crack in silicone in the corner and silicone the plate down around the edges? Or sandwich silicone between the two plates?
Here's a pic
1057150=64850-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446407847.753320.jpg
>
1057150=64850-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446407847.753320.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446407847.753320.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

If it was me I'd either replace the bottom pane or the entire tank. If you are already resealing it you are half way there. You have to decide what your time is worth. Try to sell it as a reptile tank. Petco is having the dollar per gallon sale right now. A patch over a cracked corner on the bottom pane is a leak waiting to happen. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

The repair would need to be done really well... But like Chris said, that $1 per gallon sale may work out better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am with the other guys, more work than it is worth. I might consider doing a repair such as you mention on a tank that cost more, but for $40, its not worth the time and effort (unless you have already done it...lol).

Okay thanks guys. Since its in the corner I may just another the corner in silicon for fun and see if it holds water. Maybe keep it for an emergency qt or something If it does.

outdrsyguy1;1057194 wrote: Okay thanks guys. Since its in the corner I may just another the corner in silicon for fun and see if it holds water. Maybe keep it for an emergency qt or something If it does.
Did you blow your budget on 2X4s and rock? j/k of course.

Yep, sell it for a reptile tank, and put the proceeds toward a new tank.

40 gallons doesn't seem like that much water until it's all over the floor.

Jenn

Back