glass tank top?

fishgardener

Market
Reaction score
I have a 50 gal tank 36"x18"x17" that needs a glass top. It does not have a support bar in the middle. I don't know what brand it is, but the trim is black. I called the LFS and they have glass lids with support bars. (cut down on light available) but they only allow a 2" space at the back. I have a big protein skimmer hanging off the back which takes up 31/2". LFS said to cut the glass, but would not recommend a glass shop to do this task. Anyone know who cut glass like that and is there a better way to accomplish this? I'm having lots of evaporation that I need to elliminate and I have a firefish who loves to jump that I need to get in the tank as soon as possible.
Any ideas???:confused2:

And glass shop will cut it for you...check the yellow pages.

BUT, as you reduce the evaporation, you will increase heat and decrease light penetration & par.

The glass will also stay "wet" from the evaporation and will have to be cleaned quite often; so keep that in mind.

If the jumper is the main concern, you can always add eggcrate over the tank. This will minimize light loss and prevent the fish from escaping, however it will not reduce the evaporation at all.

What type of lighting are you using? You may be able to use acrylic and make your own support bars?

How much evaporation are you having? I usually add 4 gallons a week to my 30 gallon tank. It's probably normal use the eggcrate for the jumper, the glass will restrict lighting, increase heat.

Back