Going Bare Bottom

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I have a small 10 gal tank that I keep for my classroom that has been set up for under a year. I have to move it back and forth from school to home during breaks. I currently have about an 1 in or so of sand in it. The sand becomes a problem when I move it because it clouds the water. I was wondering if I could just suck all the sand out of it without any detrimental effects to my yellow tail damsel or coral during my next water change or transferring all the live rock, coral and fish to a 20 tall that I can set up.

i dont see a problem with doing that.i did the same thing about 2years ago when i had a 120g and my corals only got better.

My opinion; collect as much of the water from the original tank before you stir up the sand. Place the collected water into the 20 gallon tank tank. Bring over the live rock to the 20 gallon while keeping the live rock wet; you could use a bowl to place fish, then the corals, then the rock with some of the water from the original tank. Then you could toss out the old sand and prepare the 10 gallon tank for later use.

I would add some (Seachem Prime) to help the fish with the stress of moving to the other tank. This is just my opinion on the steps to take. Others may chime in on your current situation.

Wannabee

P.S. I wouldn't attempt to take out the sand while the livestock is in the 10 gallon tank. You risk crashing the tank and harming your corals and fish when you stir up the sand bed.

WannabeeaReefKeeper;986784 wrote: My opinion; collect as much of the water from the original tank before you stir up the sand. Place the collected water into the 20 gallon tank tank. Bring over the live rock to the 20 gallon while keeping the live rock wet; you could use a bowl to place fish, then the corals, then the rock with some of the water from the original tank. Then you could toss out the old sand and prepare the 10 gallon tank for later use.

I would add some (Seachem Prime) to help the fish with the stress of moving to the other tank. This is just my opinion on the steps to take. Others may chime in on your current situation.

Wannabee

P.S. I wouldn't attempt to take out the sand while the livestock is in the 10 gallon tank. You risk crashing the tank and harming your corals and fish when you stir up the sand bed.

This is how I envisioned the transition. I have to build a new stand and clean the 20 gal. before I move anything. I did not realize how much bigger the 20 gal. tall is. I thought it had the same footprint. I appreciate everyones input. I will post some before and after pics.

Back