Going from T-5 to MH..anything i need to know?

zdaytonaroadster

Market
Reaction score
I am upgrading my my Current T-5 54w system (and 2 Dual PC's) to a new 300 Watt MH with PCs, do i need to shade my tank for a few days, or do anything different? I have a mixed SPS, LPS, softie reef.

T-5 system will be for sale once i get my MH in about a week..will take pics..sell for good deal :shout:

DOnt do it!!! DOnt go to the dark side!!!

But yeah, you should be really careful, as the lighting is very different in nature. I would start the light off at a shorter photoperiod, and raise the light off the water a bit and lower it over time.

Jin had some frags that came out of T5 and put them in a MH frag tank, and it baked them.

start off slowy if you can move the corals down lower in your tank and them work them back up alittle each week. Or do it with the lights. Trust me I went from mh to t5's and then back to mh

300 watt MH? Do you mean 2 X 150? Start at a very low photoperiod (3-4 hoyrs a days, and slowly build it up.

NOOOOOOOO You said you were going to stay with T5's! NOOOOOOOOO

I dont mean to hijack your thread but, I am also switching over to MH this week on my smaller cube tank that will hold all my livestock until the new tank is done. I am going from 8 T5's to a 400 watt MH. I was thinking of doing the screen covers until there acclimated. Plus I have my lumenbright about 10" of the top of the water.

I think "T5 vs. MH" is ARC's new war, since "BB vs. DSB" has faded, since all the BB advocates flaked out!!!

I dont understand how people can go MH, and go away. I like the colors the T5 produce, but it is a pastel painting. MH gives it "life". BOOOO T5, Yeah MH!!

T5 FTMFW! House ambient temp is 78 degrees and the tank is 79 degrees, no chiller required.

Barbara;297363 wrote: I have heard of folks using layers of screen to diffuse some of the light, and then removing the layers one by one over the course of a week or two, to allow the corals to acclimate.

Thats exaclty what i was going to do, i've someone do that from PC to MH, i didnt know if i needed to do it from T5 to MH, but i thought i should try, just to be safe

rostato;297397 wrote: NOOOOOOOO You said you were going to stay with T5's! NOOOOOOOOO

lol, i was, but i found a clearnce MH so cheap i couldn't pass it up..

and yes its 2X150watt, 300 watts total is what i meant

Oh ya those MH should look nice on that. I would just keep them kinda high off the water to start with , and have a smaller photoperiod.

The biggest no no is sticking your hand in the tank and touching the bulb when its been on for awhile. You will only do this twice!:shout:

au01st;297466 wrote: T5 FTMFW! House ambient temp is 78 degrees and the tank is 79 degrees, no chiller required.

3 X 400 Watt MH and tank temp is 79. No chiller either.

Back