Good Luck with Powder Blues?

mkinna1

Market
Reaction score
How many of you guys have had good luck with powder blue tangs? They have one at the LFS and was trying to decide if I should buy it or not? Anyone have one that has been in a tank for a while?

I have a Powder Brown Tang, that is similar - Powder Blues can be one of the more aggressive tang.

mkinna1;121632 wrote: How many of you guys have had good luck with powder blue tangs? They have one at the LFS and was trying to decide if I should buy it or not? Anyone have one that has been in a tank for a while?

Yes, I would like some advice on PTs too. My boyfriend has been eyeing this fish since we set up the tank. I heard they are very delicate fish to keep. Any advice? We currently have 2 clowns and eventually want a yellow, regal and Powder Tang. Wonder if these 3 tangs are compatible in the same tank.

They are compatible because they are different shapes and colors, but the regal is not as hardy as the yellow. I love the powder blues, but its somewhat expensive to be a risk taker.

I have a powder blue it's about 1.5 years old but I can't add anymore fish. Between the blue and the yellow the new fish doesn't stand a chance.

I had a powder blue for over a year, very colorful and active addition to my tank. It did sometimes pick at the other fish, but it ate like a horse. Then one day it caught ick. It is a great looking fish, but I have heard of many other stories like mine.

from what I understand, if you acclimate them well, they should be ok--as like as they stay away from ich--but there's no sure-fire way they will. Also, having a big enough tank will help too (I don't have one, but I, too really like them, and did some research on them and decided not to keep one)-oh and they're aggressive too, like everyone's already said. I would make sure the LFS acclimated him well and make sure you do the same-

mkinna1;121632 wrote: How many of you guys have had good luck with powder blue tangs? They have one at the LFS and was trying to decide if I should buy it or not? Anyone have one that has been in a tank for a while?

How big is your tank?

I have had 3 over the past 10 years and all are still alive (2 in others tanks back in Texas)

Here are the keys in my opinion

1) Quarentine - These guys are a little shy at first and they are a bit finicky to get eating. Once they do they will eat anything though.

2) Have a big tank, these guys can swim! They are extremely agile and fast (almost amazingly so) I would highly recommend a 6ft tank but a 120 would be minimum I would recommend. They get pretty big. The first one I owned whos been in captivity for almost 10 years now is 9" long!

3) Go ahead and in qt do hypo for a month and then treat for intestinal parasites with praziquintenal (prazipro, or the jungle food) PBTs are very prone to both so this will ensure they are fully healthy before going into the display

4) Add them last as others have said they get quite aggressive to newcomers though I have never had any of mine bother things already established.

kwl1763;121761 wrote: I have had 3 over the past 10 years and all are still alive (2 in others tanks back in Texas)

Here are the keys in my opinion

1) Quarentine - These guys are a little shy at first and they are a bit finicky to get eating. Once they do they will eat anything though.

2) Have a big tank, these guys can swim! They are extremely agile and fast (almost amazingly so) I would highly recommend a 6ft tank but a 120 would be minimum I would recommend. They get pretty big. The first one I owned whos been in captivity for almost 10 years now is 9" long!

3) Go ahead and in qt do hypo for a month and then treat for intestinal parasites with praziquintenal (prazipro, or the jungle food) PBTs are very prone to both so this will ensure they are fully healthy before going into the display

4) Add them last as others have said they get quite aggressive to newcomers though I have never had any of mine bother things already established.
agreed to all.

Back