gorgonians

its about 8 ins tall and is now opened up bigger then this pic. there is not a spot in it with out a pol.

Here are mine.
Purple one is about 5" tall,and yellow one is about 9" tall.
I got them both from a sponser Fishscales.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
249110=14330-Gorgians 001.jpg
>
249110=14330-Gorgians 001.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Gorgians 001.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
249110=14331-Gorgians 002.jpg
>
249110=14331-Gorgians 002.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Gorgians 002.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

To think that when I used to go to the Keys this stuff was everywhere and I would just throw it back. Who knew??

I have 6 gorgonians (yellow and red) the polyps open on the yellow but not the red. Does anyone know what could cause the polyps to be closed most of the time?

they open at night. They are non-photosynthetic. You can try to spot feed when the lights are on to get them to start opening, but that's just a guess..

Generally speaking, a gorgonian inhabited by algae will have brownish polyps while a gorgonian that relys on filter feeding will be more brightly coloured.
If you wish to keep gorgonians in your aquarium it is important to learn about their particular feeding habits. Gorgonians that contain algae will require strong lighting, while gorgonians without algae need to get all their energy from what they can filter from the water.
FOUND THIS ONLINE MAYBE IT HELPS A LITTLE

Gorgonians are a tricky lot, because their care varies greatly. If you wont spend the time to feed, do not get a non photosynthetic! They are much like suncorals, and will just fade away. You will need to feed them at least a couple times a week, as mentioned prior. Photosynthetic gorgonaians are typically very hardy, though, and can grow very quickly. I have a couple in my reef, and they do well, despite the angels periodically picking. I was looking at some pics the other day, and my purple has probably tripled in size ofver the past 2 years.

Back