Got some shower liner for my new stand

gnashty

Market
Reaction score
how should I put it in? I want to waterproof the stand in case any mishaps happen...

I plan to just lay it in, let it go up the sides about 3-4" and staple it in place. wont be perfect but should protect in case I have a small leak or accidently spill something....thoughts or best practices to share?

I wouldnt worry about it at all!
I think we are only allowed ONE catastrophy per member.

Should be smooth sailing from now on :up:

I lay it in, and run the sides up 3-4" and then use 1/2" screws to hold it in.

I run it a couple of inches up the side and attach it with double sticky velcro strips I got at Target. I wasn't worried about removing it as much as getting it to stick without curling down on itself.

alternatively, you could poly the crap out of the inside of the stand and caulk the seams. I did that on my stand for my old 90 and it worked perfectly... when I forgot to close a valve and let 20 gallons of water run into the inside of the stand.

I dont want to make it that permanent and I dont want to screw into the wood if I dont have to, I figured some well placed staples will help keep it in place.

when I did mine (check page 6 of my build thread link in my signature), I applied clear silicone to the corners and a zig-zag pattern on the floor of the stand, I also went up the walls of the stand with a zigzag pattern and then put the liner in place, rolling in place..

it wanted to pull away from the stand in a couple places so I clamped it in place for 8 hours using scrap strips of wood and C-clamps/spring clamps/quickdraw clamps...

I then folded the corners and put a high staple in them holding them in place..

looks great, functions perfectly..

I used a cheap liner from Wally World and just used a staple gun around the edges....

I ended up just fitting it in with about 3-4" up the walls of the stand using a staple gun - actually looks decent and very functional.

Crewdawg1981;614472 wrote: Pictures! I'm debating good ways to waterproof the inside of my stand.

it's the GRAY pan in the pictures.. the tan colored mat is a vibration dampener..

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25565&d=1280116688" alt="" />

[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25567&d=1280116715" alt="" />

I have found that salt will migrate to the wall if you have a small leak somewhere. I line the wall behind the tank as well. That way no surprises when you move the tank.
T

Holy bio-filtration batman. That install looks like a pro! Nice work, despite your leak you got back on the horse with a plan! :yay:

Edit: Wait, is your skimmer filtered back through the sock?

rjrgroup;616142 wrote: Holy bio-filtration batman. That install looks like a pro! Nice work, despite your leak you got back on the horse with a plan! :yay:

Edit: Wait, is your skimmer filtered back through the sock?

lol, thats not mine but I did add some pics of mine today here...
showthread.php

Rbredding;614486 wrote: it's the GRAY pan in the pictures.. the tan colored mat is a vibration dampener..

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25565&d=1280116688" alt="" />

[IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25567&d=1280116715" alt="" />
[QUOTE=rjrgroup;616142]Holy bio-filtration batman. That install looks like a pro! Nice work, despite your leak you got back on the horse with a plan! :yay:

Edit: Wait, is your skimmer filtered back through the sock?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

THANKS RJR...

Incidentally, anyone thinking about doing this - IT WORKS...
my return pump had a seal go out in it AND when I re-plumbed everything a couple weeks ago I overtorqued my skimmer outlet..
LONG STORY SHORT - I had 1/4" of water in the bottom of my stand lastnight when I got home from work..

due to the shower pan... no harm, no foul..cleaned it up lastnight in 2 minutes with a towel..
addressing the leaks tonight..

Edit: the skimmer output enters the sump immediately after the filter socks (prior to the bubble trap)

Back