Green Chromis

chauwall

Market
Reaction score
Why can't I keep Green Chromis? My tank has been around for 6+ years. I've got lots of fish-tangs, clown, wrasse, gobies, etc. I've tried them at least 4 times in different batches over the years. Last month, I got 3 and luckily one lived. The others died overnight. So at the meeting, I picked up 2 more hoping that they could be a trio again. And overnight-gone. What is the deal? Is it me or are these easy fish not so easy? I hate spending the money for 24 hours of "chromis" watching...they are so pretty. Poor things.

chauwall;188482 wrote: Why can't I keep Green Chromis? My tank has been around for 6+ years. I've got lots of fish-tangs, clown, wrasse, gobies, etc. I've tried them at least 4 times in different batches over the years. Last month, I got 3 and luckily one lived. The others died overnight. So at the meeting, I picked up 2 more hoping that they could be a trio again. And overnight-gone. What is the deal? Is it me or are these easy fish not so easy? I hate spending the money for 24 hours of "chromis" watching...they are so pretty. Poor things.
People often think these will be great group fishes. I have heard of very FEW success stories with people keeping groups, when all is said and done. If you have a dominant fish, he will beat the others constantly, unless you have a huge tank. Just my opinion, though.

That and they are just poor transporting fish. These from what I hear, they ship/transport horribly! I bought 9 several months ago and fortunately I have 8 left...1 decided to just out the tank onto my euro brace for some sun tanning. At any rate there is 1 big dog in there who bosses most of them around. I think feeding several times will help lower the aggression, but thats just speculation on my part.

glxtrix;188488 wrote: That and they are just poor transporting fish. These from what I hear, they ship/transport horribly! I bought 9 several months ago and fortunately I have 8 left...1 decided to just out the tank onto my euro brace for some sun tanning. At any rate there is 1 big dog in there who bosses most of them around. I think feeding several times will help lower the aggression, but thats just speculation on my part.

That's a pretty high rate of survival. 9 out of 10 is good. I just wish I can keep several for more than 24 hours!

chauwall;188496 wrote: That's a pretty high rate of survival. 9 out of 10 is good. I just wish I can keep several for more than 24 hours!

It is possible, and if you are set on it, I would look for some from Fiji, and I would also remove your existing single. I think that will improve your chances significantly.

Oh yeah also mine came from a tank where they were alive for several months. they weren't from a fish tank.

jmaneyapanda;188503 wrote: It is possible, and if you are set on it, I would look for some from Fiji, and I would also remove your existing single. I think that will improve your chances significantly.

What makes Fiji ones hardier?

glxtrix;188511 wrote: Oh yeah also mine came from a tank where they were alive for several months. they weren't from a fish tank.

Oh cool. I was thinking that I should buy them from a person who has them for a while vs. trying to buy them from a store. Anyone selling their chromis? :)

chauwall;188524 wrote: What makes Fiji ones hardier?

Fiji has good collection practices, and a better track record. But they usually come in ENORMOUS!!! I guess a better suggestion would be to just get them from a reliable source.

Odd numbers are key. I've have 5 for over 2 yrs without any problems. "knock on wood" I've always heard keep them in odds and I have without any issues. In fact mine are some hungry mofo's and eat whatever my tangs and clowns don't get to first. Love them!

Back