Green water

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Is a UV Sterilizer necessary to clear my algae bloom or is a water change and protein skimmer sufficient? There is algae on my rocks as well, I believe my constant scrubbing of rocks with my tooth brush and Turkey baster and lack of a protein Skimmer worked against me. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on clearing up water which all suggest a UV sterilizer but I don’t want to buy unnecessary equipment as the hobby is financially pressing as is so I don’t want more maintenance tools than required for my aquarium to thrive. My daughter who is only 6 months old loves to look at the aquarium is left without one of joys in her short life to date and she is my motivation in keeping my interest in the hobby. I want the clearest water and lots of beautiful coral as that would seem to please my princess

Personally, I would not invest in a UV sterilizer. A certain amount of algae is very, very common in newer tanks along with diatoms and a bacterial bloom. It's all part of "new tank syndrome." I believe the money would be much better spent on some sort of skimmer. As far as your Daughter goes, you'll have a terrific tank for her to looks at soon since the tank's still in the maturing process. Trust me when I say it's not UV sterilizer time just yet. Feed less, regular water changes and manual removal will get it there and the skimmer would also be a big help given the bioload you've been talking about.

Algae is part of an aging tank, it's ugly, but it's a sign of good times ahead. Are you testing your water? Do you use r/o water? It's important to not add extra fuel to the fire, by that I'm talking about phosohate, it can really feed algae and create a problem that even an experienced reefer doesn't want to solve.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just to be sure, I didn't notice a RODI filter in your what's lacking thread, it didn't occur to me until you mentioned green water. You ste using RODI water, correct?

Personally, I would not invest in a UV sterilizer. A certain amount of algae is very, very common in newer tanks along with diatoms and a bacterial bloom. It's all part of "new tank syndrome." I believe the money would be much better spent on some sort of skimmer. As far as your Daughter goes, you'll have a terrific tank for her to looks at soon since the tank's still in the maturing process. Trust me when I say it's not UV sterilizer time just yet. Feed less, regular water changes and manual removal will get it there and the skimmer would also be a big help given the bioload you've been talking about.
Awesome sauce!!! Thanks for your quick response

If that's the case, I wouldn't expect that your water is the source of excess nutrients.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reverse osmosis and deionized water. A filter strips everything but H2O.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back