Group buy on Vital Sine Refractometer

harleyguy

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">I will be ordering these through Aquatic Eco-systems.</span>

<span style="color: black;">Salinity Refractometer by Vital Sine™
<ul>
<li>Largest and sharpest scale display available.</li>
<li>Calibration ring for simplified calibration.</li>
</ul>The SR6 refractometer features a magnified scale for better visual accuracy. Other features include solid aluminum construction, a rubber-gripped body and temperature compensation between 10 and 30ºC (50–86ºF). To calibrate, simply loosen the handset screw, place a few drops of water on the prism, turn the calibration ring until the shadowline is at zero and secure the set screw—that's it! It reads specific gravity (1.000 to 1.070) and salinity in parts per thousand (0–100 in 1 ppt divisions). Refractometer includes a black vinyl zip case, transfer pipette and cleaning cloth. This is one of the highest quality refractometers we have found on the market. Measures 1½" D x 7" L (4 x 18 cm), weighs .6 lb (285 g). One-year warranty.</span>

<span style="color: black;">
SR6.jpg
alt="" /></span>

<span style="color: black;">Retails for $109 + shipping</span>

<span style="color: black;">If we can get 6 or more </span>

<span style="color: black;">$89 + shipping... Let me know</span>

<span style="color: black;">BTW Group shipping for 6 is $8.61 total... that's ~ $1.44 each...</span>
<span style="color: black;">So total would be $90.44 that’s a great price for the best Refractometer on the market...</span>

<span style="color: black;">For those of you that don't know what this is or does... It checks the Salinity of you water (very accurately) while compensating for Temperature...</span>

I'm in the market for an upgrade from my swing arm as well but am having trouble deciding between a refractometer or digital and anomloy's questions seems like a good one. Also, what payment is accepted?

anomaly;216190 wrote: It's so close to the cost of a digital readout of salinty in terms of price, wouldn't that be a better choice?

Something like this: http://www.aquacave.com/pinpoint-salinity-monitor-br-by-american-marine-1570.html">http://www.aquacave.com/pinpoint-salinity-monitor-br-by-american-marine-1570.html</a>[/QUOTE]

<span style="color: black;">I can't speak for the pinpoint, but I can speak for the Vital Sine and all I can say is that it is extremely easy to use and extremely accurate... The only reason I am buying another one is because I lost my old one... I guess that is what moving several limes in 3 years will do...</span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>

I would like to but i'll get back to you when i know for sure.

I need to get a refractometer -- count me in! I was planning to order one this week anyway, so this is perfect.

i am really surprised to hear that about the Pinpoint monitors -- waterproofing would be pretty easy to do if they wanted to, I imagine.

Other than the adjustment ring vs. adjustment screw, what's the benefit over http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4690+9957&pcatid=9957">this one</a> that costs $45?

I have the $45 one and it's always been accurate and never needed adjusting after initial calibration with RO water.

Soarin';216368 wrote: I need to get a refractometer -- count me in! I was planning to order one this week anyway, so this is perfect.

i am really surprised to hear that about the Pinpoint monitors -- waterproofing would be pretty easy to do if they wanted to, I imagine.

4 down

2 more to go...

George;216389 wrote: Other than the adjustment ring vs. adjustment screw, what's the benefit over http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4690+9957&pcatid=9957">this one</a> that costs $45?

I have the $45 one and it's always been accurate and never needed adjusting after initial calibration with RO water.[/QUOTE]

Magnified scale for better visual accuracy. Other features include solid aluminum construction, a rubber-gripped body. Refractometer includes a black vinyl zip case, transfer pipette and cleaning cloth. This is one of the highest quality refractometers we have found on the market.

These are all features that aren't on the other model. I'm not saying the other one isn't great... I just saying that this one is better. You are paying for the quality. Like I said before I had one would never buy anything else... Then again I tend to buy quality stuff...:D

The other one has a hard plastic foam-lined case and may or may not be solid aluminum, but has a pipette and rubber grip. Those features aren't listed on the other one, but they're there.

I'm sure the Vital Sine one is top notch, just asking if it's $45 better. It's not like either one is going to break with normal use.

<span style="color: black;">I think the reason I went with the better one originally was that I had heard the cheaper one was notorious for breaking where the "flap" (for lack of better words) connects to the body. I have used both, and I like the feel of the heavier one and I feel that the better one might be a bit easier to read. But with all that said... it's the end users opinion as to what they want... Toyota or Infinity. Personally for under $100 I would go with the nicer of the two and feel like I got the best I could in a reasonable price range... but that's just my $0.02</span>

I have the cheaper one, and the flap hinges rusted...I have to hold it shut to view salinity as it does not close securely on its own...but it works

Back