halide bulbs, why the big price difference?

benpoole28

Market
Reaction score
Is there really that much difference between a $15 amazon cheapy bulb and a $60 hamilton? Seems like a 250w 10k bulb should be exactly that, no matter how much you pay for it right? Im buying new bulbs and dont mind spending the money if its worth the extra cost, but i dont like wasting money just on namebrands. Can anyone tell me that they have tried both and got much better growth out of the high end bulbs? Thanks.

I haven't tried either but I would only go phoenix with DE bulbs and radiums for SE. Ushio makes a nice bulb too from what I hear.

Yes the cheap ebay ones dont have the best spectrum and dim down a lot after 6 months. But if you replace them twice a year they are just fine and still cheaper then regular bulbs.

The main difference is what people are willing to pay for them...thats it.

There are bulbs that are made in china and then those made in Germany. The German lamps have great quality control and are of better quality overall. They'll perform as they ought to. The chinese lamps are of low quality and have no QC.

For instance, every Ushio 14kk lamp you buy will be of consistent colour and performance. The cheap lamps will vary in colour temperature and performance. I used to run XM lamps. Every single lamp was a different colour and shifted at different times. I do not have the same issues with Ushio or Radium lamps.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that you're happy. If you're happy with the look/performance and enjoy the savings, then go for the cheapies. If you'd be happier with the better lamps and don't mind paying for that, get the good stuff. Lamps are probably the cheapest part of running my tank, so it's not worth the hassle for me to consider anything else (that, and I've been there, done that).

thanks for all the input, i just switched to halides from leds so i have no experience with them. i think ill just go with some good ones. Everything ive tried to go cheap on in this hobby ends up getting replace with quality stuff once it fails, and it always does.

benpoole28;993715 wrote: thanks for all the input, i just switched to halides from leds so i have no experience with them. i think ill just go with some good ones. Everything ive tried to go cheap on in this hobby ends up getting replace with quality stuff once it fails, and it always does.

Yep :up:

I tried a lot of different lamps, but I always come back to Hamiltons. They are middle-of-the-price-range, but I found them to be consistent.

A few years ago, Dana Riddle was messing around in my shop with his PAR meter, and surprisingly, even older Hamiltons that were supposedly past their useful lifespan, still put out decent par.

It's a pretty subjective thing, lighting. Ask 10 people, get 12 opinions ;)

Whatever you do, make sure you get the proper colour temperature for corals. The cheap lamps they use in parking lot light fixtures are usually only 5000K - probably fine for freshwater planted tanks but definitely insufficient for corals.

Jenn

That's how we spell it up north :D . North of the line you talked about some many threads ago; maybe about 8 months ago.

Wannabee

rdnelson99;993810 wrote: Jenn, you miss spelled color again. Hehehehehehe
That's how we spell it up north :D . North of the line you talked about some many threads ago; maybe about 8 months ago.

Wannabee

No, Rich, YOU misspelled it. Last time I checked, England was around long before the United States was.

Jenn :p

JennM;993836 wrote: No, Rich, YOU misspelled it. Last time I checked, England was around long before the United States was.

Jenn :p

But we aren't in England and beat them in a war with slingshots for the right to drop the 'u'. :p

Don't forget about heat issues with metal halide, since your new to the lights. A fan blowing across the top between the light assembly and the top of the tank will be helpful.

Wannabee

tonymission;993844 wrote: But we aren't in England and beat them in a war with slingshots for the right to drop the 'u'. :p
We cheated though. We took the tactics from native Americans. We hid behind trees and things, changed our warfare tactics that were utilized by native Americans.

Wannabee

I speak 4 languages:

English
French
Canadian
American

Bonjour, y'all, how's it going, eh?

JennM;993854 wrote: I speak 4 languages:

English
French
Canadian
American

Bonjour, y'all, how's it going, eh?

I didn't see Georgia listed above. Isn't "y'all" only a Georgia thing.

Wannabee

Ive the Phoenix SE and happy with them. Not sure why Tonymissions said to only buy DE Phoenix, JMO.

Back