HALP, i think my tank is crashing..or something bad

I had that before in my last tank when I used tap water..........

Don't let anyone scare you into thinkin that you are stuck with it and it never will go away..... I was ready to heartbrokenly chunk my whole system because at least one person told me it would always be there.

I hooked up a vacuum to my Magum 350 (yea, I'm sure several of you saw that coming, always with the magnum, huh?) and vacuumed up all the lose algae I could. I then did a 50% waterchange on my 65g display (using the same tap water I'd always used,) and then a 3 day period of lights out while I ran the Magnum with a clean diatom filter.

Some folks said that the algae would just return, but it never did.

You've done plenty of water changes, so the manual removal of much of the algae and the lights out period is the other things that should help.

If you have a second tank, I'd house a few critters in it. Clams seem particularly bothered by this stuff, along with any anemone. I only had one tank at the time, so everything stayed in the display, and glad to say I lost nothing......

^thats good to know, i'll keep up with the water changes, i cleaned the filter pad out of my overflow light night, it was caked with this stuff. I've already reduced light cycle, hopefully i wont have to leave them off, but i may if it doesnt get worse.

Thanks again to everyone being so helpful, i accutally wasnt going to stop ( i was going to use this as an excuse to get that 125 gallon i been drooling over) but it was rather furstrating in that everything had been going so well.

Back